1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parent troubles

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by mickey1101, Jun 18, 2016.

1. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay so my mother is being really unreasonable lately. It's been about 8 days now since she's taken my laptop and tablet because she feels I don't tell her what I do on them enough. Keep in mind I am 18 I'm not a bad kid I don't go out almost ever due to her again and the only reason I have my phone to type this right now is because my grandmother convinced her to give it back after about 2 days in. Mother now wants to time and monitor my internet use "for my own safety" like???
    Next in light of recent events I was upset due to the Orlando shooting and I voiced these concerns. My mother is very religious and I'm not out to her at all. I think she believes that I'm bring influenced by the people I hang out with and that "If I'm not gay I shouldn't care as much about the shooting" how fucked up that mentality is aside she now took away any internet citing that as Influencing me and she wants to read my texts to my friends which I told her no to and have a password on my phone now. I'm very frustrated and I feel trapped. I'm not crazy I'm I? This is extreme?? Idk I go off to college in the end of August but until then this is what I have to deal with. :bang:

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's absolutely crazy. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this and her overbearing presence. I can relate my parents monitored my internet activity when I was around 14-16 and it just made me resent them. You're 18 though! You're a bloody adult she shouldn't be allowed to control you like this you're your own person. Makes me angry when parents interfere this much with their kids lives, it's not protection anymore it's just an overbearing need for control.

Eventually she should get bored and stop with it all. The fact that she's going the old school way and only wants to look through messages instead of installing software on devices to monitor it is somewhat easier to deal with. I get that it's really frustrating though. Have you tried writing a letter or calmly sitting down with her and asking why she's doing this, why you dont think this is necessary, etc? Try to get through to her that way. Venting helps a great deal. Not having anywhere to yourself that's private can get to you.

3. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually after I was less angry I did try and calmly tell her how this was affecting me and all she did was say it's her house and her rules and that she bought the electronics and pays the bills so she can do what she wants with them. I just stuck here right now and it sucks but I'm trying to just think that I leave in 2 months and that I got you guys here and my friends right now.

4. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    can u get a job till then? then maybe ask a friend if u can stay with them till then? being on ur own should help with this