1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Safe To Speak Up?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Willa, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Willa

I am an LGBTQ+ activist in my area. I have held vigils, run support groups, etc.

The shooting in Orlando has broken my heart. One of my very close friends lost three loved ones, dancers at Pulse who were gunned down. Suicide rates in the queer community are soaring. My people are afraid and grieving. I want to do something.

What I would like to do is organize a vigil in my town where we could gather, speak some interfaith prayers (prayers from Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and other faiths) for the victims and their loved ones, and for the safety of our community, and then speak as a group the 49 names of the victims. However...

I'm afraid that asking people to gather in a specific place to pray for Orlando, especially here in the south, is to put them all in danger. Other vigils in other places have already been attacked.

I don't know what to do. I have never been the kind of woman who runs and hides. But I don't want to put my people at risk. There is enough of that already. I would love some guidance.

Should I not have the vigil?
    Should I hold the vigil anyway?
    Should I do it myself and livestream it so people can participate remotely?
    Should I do both (an in-person vigil that is also a livestream) so people can participate remotely if they feel unsafe?

I have a few options here and would appreciate your input. Thanks.

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't heard that vigils elsewhere had been attacked. Though I don't follow the news as much as I should.

If you want to hold one and are worried about the safety of others. I would suggest the live stream route. As it has the benefit of not being at a real location and more importantly, people from all over can participate. Since it sounds like you need to do something, you should do something.

#2 Shorthaul, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016