1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new kid's an active self harmer and only my friend and I know...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SillyGoose, Jun 20, 2016.

1. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Im very good friends with someone who everyone comes to with seacret said and stuff and she tells exclusively me every seacret that she is told...

Recently, a kid transferred from Belgium to our school at the beginning of school..
    Being the gossip rat my friend is, she decided to become good friends with the kid and using here magical miracle ability to gain instant trust, she started to find out his seacrets...

2 weeks later she found out that he is an Active Self Harmer..

Prior to this we were talking about what his seacret could be and I noticed the huge amount of scares populating his arms and told here about it.. She dismissed it but it turned out to be true..

He'res the thing.. Only Her and I know and I don't know him and I've only spoken to him once or twice.. She is horrible at giving advice and she wishes to stop him from doing it.. He has no proper friends yet and nobody to turn to because all of his friends are in Belgium.. I'm a bit unsure as of what to do..

Do I confront him
    Do I tell her what to say
    Do I tell a member of authority

Any advice as of what to do would be greatly appreciated.. Just ask if further details are required..

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First and foremost, befriend him. It's difficult enough transferring schools let alone countries and he needs to find people that he can trust and that will be there for him. Talk to him, get to know him and it's a win-win, you both make a new friend. I'd advise against telling a member of authority. The prying into his life from random strangers and the possible outcome of students finding out is one of the worst things that could happen.

You have to understand that whilst people do self harm for different reasons, often it's not because they want to die. It's used as a means of coping with mental and emotional pain through a method that they have control over and that allows them to 'relax' -as strange as it sounds- it can also become an addiction and can be very difficult to stop for some people. Taking away this form of coping can be extremely dangerous for people that rely on it and if we're talking self harm vs. suicide then obviously the former is preferable although still dangerous and not a healthy method of dealing with emotions.

If you're going to confront this kid then have a plan. Provide him with alternative methods of coping: use a rubber band, exercise, draw, write down your thoughts in a journal, music, watch your favourite program, have a shower. There are also two techniques that have proved to be helpful with stopping: The Butterfly Project and Paper Chain project, so researching those and mentioning them might be useful for him. Also, if you do end up becoming close enough where he's comfortable enough to confide in you then maybe offer to help find him someone to talk to? A school counsellor or nice teacher? They often can't do much but having someone listen to you can take some of the weight off.

I get that this is a lot of burden to put on you. I went through both sides of your situation at 14 too and it's difficult but just be there for him and be his friend, maybe message him on facebook? Telling someone 'stop it' just isn't the way to go.

#2 Aberrance, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  3. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you very much...

We do share a lot of interests...

You you think his sexuality has any impact.. He admitted that he is bisexual to my friend

4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean there could be a lot of factors that cause people to start self harming. I'm sure that being uprooted from his home and moving, having no stability, isn't helping. Sexuality can play a stressful part in some peoples lives but if he's accepting of himself then I'm sure that's not the root cause. When I started it was because there were a build up of so many factors that I didn't feel like I knew how to cope with them and it was the only thing that I believed would help, even now, about 8 months clean I have days where I've picked up a blade and remembered that there are other ways. That's why it's important to have alternative methods of providing the same relief. If you do become good friends maybe mention that whenever he feels the need to harm that he could text/skype you and take his mind off it? It's all about finding the coping mechanism that works for the person.

5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Befriend him and if you get close, you can ask him, why he does it. If it's a problem you can solve, help him with it. Unfortunatly, sometimes self harm comes from factors you can't influence. Find out if he wants to quit and if, find him some skills that work.