1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving out!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Libra Neko, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am thrilled to say that I'm finally leaving my parents' house for my own apartment. I have never lived alone but I'm totally ready. My psychiatrist agrees. The only limitation I will have is that I hate driving, so I will be reliant on public transportation. I have some friends in the city I'm moving to, but they're pretty spread out (it's a big city). I would like to meet new people but am not sure how. I don't like bars and clubs. I have a mental illness, so meeting people can be difficult because of the stigma attached; people might think I'm unstable or other ridiculous shit.
    I'm so glad I'm moving. My dad is a toxic person. He is an alcoholic and probably has Narcissistic Personality Disorder, from what I can see. My mom is also an alcoholic, though she is a kind person (too kind, IMO). Why she loves my dad bewilders me.
    Anyway, I'll finally be alone. Any ideas how to meet new people?

2. Reggie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Do you have hobbies? What activities do you like?

Take a community education class? Join an interest club?

I've met lots of great friends as an adult by showing up clubs that interest me.

3. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love cats. I think I should find out if there are any cat rescue organizations near where I live. I love to sing but have a discordant voice. I'm into astrology but don't know how that would help me meet people. So I'll look for cat people.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'm so excited. I know it may be weird at first, because I've never lived alone before. However, I'm sure the pros outweigh the cons here. I just have to remind myself that I don't want to be around my dad much and that I don't want to condone my parents' behavior by living with them.

4. Beebop

Beebop Guest

If you are not into bars and clubs, by all means don't go to them. You will not meet compatible people that way. Go to Meetups in your new city that are centered around your interests and just be yourself around the people you meet.

5. Reggie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Humane society!

If you like animals, your local zoo may also have volunteers.

6. Hint

Congratulations on finally getting out of your parents' house-- oh, god dammit, I I want to move out!
    I've been trying to move out of my parents' house for the past 3 months and haven't been able to get it together.

What kind of advice can you give me on even getting there, not... after... like you are?
    You make it sound so easy...

Yeah, my Mom keeps saying "she likes having me here" as if she's afraid to let me move out & live on my own, and I feel like my parents are a serious barrier to me making my own decisions.
    But for you it sounds like you have more push to want to move out.

Same deal, same deal, and same deal.
    What are you doing that I'm not doing?

Am I just not motivated enough?
    Or is there something I've been doing that I have to give up..?

#6 Hint, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  7. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no idea what you mean. Are you still young? When I was young I probably had the same problems you have.
    Meetup might be a good idea.

8. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it is a big city then there should be plenty of things to go see and do. There are stores and business that cater to pretty much everything. I have met great people at; Game Stores (not the video kind), Radio Controlled cars/trucks clubs, Book stores, Automotive clubs, a Pub (it had a trivia game, the only reason I went and awesome food)...

Just pick something you enjoy and look for places that cater to that. The Pub I mention above, my friends and I went to once a week for so long the waitress invited us to her wedding. You can meet cool people lots of places, just have to leave the house.

Also, keep your finances in neat order and avoid credit cards. And congrats on moving out and being on your own.

#8 Shorthaul, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  9. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone. I am so happy. It is indeed a big city. I don't have credit cards and am very careful when it comes to money.