1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I give off gay vibes unconsciously and I want it to stop

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dgdofrey, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dgdofrey

I'm a person who doesn't like to appear gay. I'm fine with the thought of myself being gay, but I don't like to exhibit behaviors that are gay-like, so to speak.

After watching videos of myself I notice that the way I walk, talk, and look is pretty gay. It's not flamboyant or anything, but when I literally try to act as normal as possible, it still comes off (to me) as gay. The way I smile, look around, and walk, just makes my gaydar fire off.

You may say that there is no such thing as acting gay but I don't believe that from my experience. In my opinion, most non-straight people (especially gay people) look physically different, talk different and act different than straight people.

My gaydar is very good by the way. I can easily tell if a person is gay, straight, even bisexual, just by noticing the way they look, act and talk. I try this all the time on YouTube and I'm rarely ever wrong.

Given that (and the fact that I am gay), I thought I would be able to avoid those behaviors that are stereotypical of a gay man, but I find that when I look at videos and pictures of myself from the time I was a teenager to now (21) I can clearly see that if I were watching myself on YouTube, I would definitely see that guy as gay.

I always assumed that I acted and looked straight but it turns out I don't. I don't like it. I want to act like a person who is unambiguously straight. That is the norm for me.

I just wanted to get that off my mind.

2. robclem21

If you have always acted the same way, then acting "unambiguously straight" obviously it isn't the norm for you. I think you are putting way too much thought into this. Just act normal and be yourself. Who cares.... It doesn't seem to have hindered you too much up to this point in your life so why change now.

3. dgdofrey

It has hindered me actually. I know that I'm not the most masculine person but I always assumed I could pass for straight. But my parents think that I am gay (I am) and I think they believe this from the way I act and everything. I'm a shy, quiet, and very socially awkward person. That's why I try to act as reserved as possible so as to not give off signals. Turns out when I see myself in videos that it hasn't worked.

I don't like people thinking that I'm gay, but people through my life have pondered the possibility that I might be. I always thought it was because I was shy and quiet but now I believe it was because of the way I looked and acted.

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed through recordings that I have a "sassy" tone to my voice, although that's not what I intentionally give off. Just thinking about it makes me a bit self concious, but then I remind myself that EVERYONE has a different voice. For example, a straight male may have a more feminine personality and voice, but it doesn't disregard the fact that he's straight.

If you talked to me, you'd think I was straight, yet I'm not. When I came out to some friends, they raised a brow, and others asked me if I was serious (they found it hard to believe). Recently, my coworker's asked "who's the girl" when my bf gave me a hickie, and instead of telling them I'm gay, I told them it's for me to know and for them to find out haha.

People that give off the gay vibe are honestly the funniest people that I've encountered. Maybe it's because they really don't give two shits about what people think (which is awesome, that's something I'm still improving on). They're people I love being around because that's who they are and they just focus on being happy.

At least you won't have to tell anyone or come out for that matter, you might find someone who's just like you as well. Just give it some time for yourself to be comfortable in your own skin. Remind yourself that acting differently isn't healthy for you either. Surround yourself with positive people, and friends that support you.

#4 Jax12, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. robclem21

This doesn't describe how it has hindered you. You are just saying people think you might be gay. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. It doesn't seem like others are bullying you or treating you differently then they would otherwise. Aside form you something in your head saying there is a "normal" and "gay" way to act, this just seems average. I still think you are overthinking this.

The entire time growing up I wished I came off more gay so that people wouldn't be so shocked when I came out and that more guys would be willing to take a chance and make a move or something. Maybe its not as bad of a thing as you think.

6. DanielaMaiden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. SpTara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nailed it! That's the way you are, and honestly, what's the problem?

#7 SpTara, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  8. Hunter8

OP, I think you have a right to project whatever image you wish to project to the world at large. But I do think it is important to consider exactly WHY you are trying to project such an image. Why do you not want to be perceived as outwardly gay? These are questions you have to figure out for your own peace of mind.

9. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just be yourself. There's nothing wrong with you. You're awesome just the way you are!

10. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    who cares dude just be you, stop judging yourself and just be...i notice that in myself i feel i sortof have a masculine quality to me, im such a dude!, and this sortof makes me feel selfconcious and feel so strange, but lately ive just been like fuk it, i am who i am...