1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you apply for colleges? (US)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kodo, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am looking to apply for colleges to go to in the fall semester of 2017. Hopefuly, I could apply early enough to be considered for scholarships. But I am somewhat at a loss because I've never done this before and don't really know where to start. I only have a very vague knowledge of how this goes, what with all the different applications and financial aid and deadlines being so confusing.

Does anyone know of good resources I can look into which would walk me through the process? Or simply have advice?

I graduated from highschool in 2015, and thus do not have access to a Guidance Counselor's help. I would ask my parents, but they really don't have time to help me with any of this. By the time they came around, I'd have missed important deadlines (which is why I didn't go to college a year ago). That said, I'm trying to be proactive and independent about it and could use all the help I can possibly get.

Thanks in advance.

#1 Kodo, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here (Canada) there is a specific website that you apply on.

If you know what school you want to apply to, I'd phone or email them and ask. More specifically the Liaison office of the university (dunno if that's just a Canadian thing or not). Trust me, most universities are very eager to help you out if it means getting your tuition money aha.

#2 HM03, Jun 23, 2016
  3. yuanzi

I applied to a bunch of graduate schools but I didn't do undergraduate in the US. According to my school's website, the process is fairly similar though.

I would suggest you make a list of schools you want to apply for and go to the undergraduate admission section on each school's website. It is usually the best place since the instructions vary slightly depending on the school and the general field. The whole procedure is very standardized and once you have gone through one school the rest should be very easy.

Make sure you have all the 'hard requirements' ready like the transcripts and standardized test scores etc because they take time to get. Then work on the more tricky ones like recommendation letters and personal statement if they are needed.

Based on my experience all the info is already listed on the school website and it is usually very straightforward. The hard part for me was to decide which ones to apply for and how to convince them to take me...

#3 yuanzi, Jun 23, 2016
  4. seeking

If in america... financial aid is base on tax returns/statements. You have to go to government website for financial aid and to the application. If you are relying on your parents you might have to add your parents. I believe in the USA you don't have to add the parent's tax returns after the age of 21.

The specific school application...is different for each school. You have to go on their website and read their application process. Since you never been to school you won't be considered a transfer student because you most likely have 0 college credits. If you have college credits in america most school consider someone a transfer student after the first year of college work (12 credits but some schools it 18 credits.) They will base your academic success with you high school grade if you are not considered a transfer student.

If you are a transfer student they don't usually ask for your SAT scores. I am far from my high school days. I can't remember what my SAT was. I couldn't even guess the range.

If you are applying to a specific college near you...might be best to go in and have a tour of the school, ask questions about financial aid and their scholarships, as well as their application process.

In addition you will want to see how LGBT friendly the campus is.

Best of luck!

***Experience have too many academic credits from university lol***

#4 seeking, Jun 23, 2016
  5. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, so I did my applications last year, and just finished up my freshman year of undergrad! Ok, first things first:do. not. procrastinate. You'll be needing to do a lot of things, and if you do not do them well/on time, you miss out on good opportunities.

General requirements for college applications usually involve the following: High school transcript (you can get this from your high school if you graduated recently), ACT and/or SAT scores and/or SAT II Subject test scores, and an application. Usually you can also submit a resume as well.

A lot of schools usually take CommonApp applications.CommonApp is sort of a universal application that fulfills a lot of private institutions (and I think some public institutions) requirements. Ex: Ivy leagues will take CommonApp, as well as other big institutions; University of California schools require you use their applications, which you can find on the UC sites. All the colleges I applied to last year were CommonApp colleges, (including Rice, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Ivies, a private school in AR, and Rennselaer Polytechnic Uni). CommonApp is pretty straightforward though...oh, and most school application deadlines are around the end of the year.

For financial aid, look into FAFSA, as well as scholarships that specific colleges offer. Most provide incentive if you have any/all of the following: High standardized test scores, high high school GPA, or already live in the state(exception: if you live in Tennessee, Texas gives some benefits).

I need to disagree with seeker here. I think that because you never applied to undergrad, you'd be listed as not a transfer, but a first year applicant. Therefore, your high school GPA will be taken into account instead.

Collegeconfidential is another forum that's more geared towards college applicants/applicants' parents/college students/students' parents-maybe look into that?

You're starting very very early, which is good. The CommonApp website still hasn't rolled over yet, so you can get a headstart on trying out some of those essays!

Umm...yeah, I think that's about it. If you can get us a preliminary list of which schools you want to go to, then we can help you from there! I can't really help when it comes to financial aid, but if you have any other questions about college apps, hit me up! Oh! And good luck!!

6. seeking

I never said this person would be considered a transfer with 0 credits. I only said they would be considered a transfer if they have had 1 year of college work (12 credits or more)

7. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh no! I'm sorry!