1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too young?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PhoenixPhoebe, Jun 27, 2016.

1. PhoenixPhoebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hiya! I'm Phoebe, and am pretty sure I am pan sexual. (Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I read the sticky note at the top of the page and was debating whether or not to put it in the coming out section, but decided against it).
    So, I am only 13, which is pretty young in my opinion to be wanting to come out. I have been questioning my sexuality for the past 1 or 2 years now. I came out to two of my close friend today, which was pretty nerve racking, and they accepted it, although now I am worrying if that was a good decision or not. Should I have not come out to them? Should I have waited another couple of years? When should I come out to my parents and everyone else? I watched a few videos that said 9-14 was pretty young, so was anxious I had rushed it. Also, I am wandering if I am too young in general to be even questioning my sexuality. :help:

2. killswitch0029

Some people know when they're pretty young, some know once they get a little bit older. I wouldn't say you're too young. Sexuality can be pretty fluid so it's possible that it might change later on down the road. For now just go with how you feel and try not to worry too much about it being "right."

3. mirkku

I came out around the same age than you, and I don't regret it at all. It got me to skip most of the sexual orientation-related anxiety later on.

killswitch0029 is right, though: don't overthink it. You are still pretty young and things might change, or they might not, and either way is perfectly fine! :slight_smile: At the end of the day, what's important is that you love and accept who you are. Wait to come out to your parents, though, as it is always better to be relatively certain of who you are before doing that. In the meantime, relax, enjoy your teen years, and circle yourself with supportive, reliable and loving friends. Good luck on your journey! (*hug*)

4. PhoenixPhoebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks! This is really helpful, and I will definitely follow your advice! I will not come out with my parents until I reach the age of 15 or 16 when I am certain.

5. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am 13 now. I came out just before I turned 13...
    I heard that it's better to come out while younger, but you should only do it when you're ready.

6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Hello Pheonix,
    you're at a normal age of discovering who you might love. I would recommend to out to your parents if you get in a relationship with a girl or a trans/ non-binary person.

7. IamCasey

I came out to my older brother when I was 12 and my parents a couple of months later at his urging. He was there to support me and now so are Mom & Dad. All of them did say that they would not have chosen this path for me, but will be with me all the way. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

8. bryaninau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There really is never something as too young for someone to come to terms with who they are. I myself knew I was gay at 8, but never really embraced and accepted it till my late teens an then came out in my early twenties. So if you have found out who you are at a younger age that's great I would just ponder on it for a little bit through. just some advice.