1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does your school do to support it's LGBT students?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Abdadhie, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Abdadhie

It recently occurred to me that my school does almost nothing to support LGBT students. There are no PFLAG or LGBT groups or anything like that. The best we get is a half arsed 40 minute lesson on LGBT people, taught by a teacher who obviously has no idea what she's talking about.

The more I think about this the more it pisses me off, the fact that we, as a group are ignored. I think stuff like this contributes to the acceptance of using slurs like faggot so openly. It's why being gay is seen as so 'abnormal' in my school environment.

Im thinking, considering that I'm on our SRC (student council) I could try and do something, start something ect. Do you think this is a good idea? Is it forcing the 'gay agenda' in people's faces. Is doing this at all counter-productive?

Thanks so much for your help

Tl;dr: My school acts like LGBT people don't exist. Should I try and do something to change this? If so, how?

#1 Abdadhie, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We have a week of lgtbtq, hosted by the club/support group. Although typically schools don't really care to do much.
    To put it plainly asking for a club to be made for lgbtq can be a fantastic way for your school to begin to get involved. Club activities then can extend to events, etc. I think a petition works in that situation.

Maybe, end phobic slurs for a day could become a thing, but honestly teenagers who are rebellious probably wont care for it. Still you may change a few peoples perspectives.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    We didn't really have much either. It was more, like, when we wanted to do something we had to do it ourselves. I hope my next school might be a little better.

And no, you're not pushing a "gay agenda". That us wanting the same rights as everyone else is called an "agenda" is just homophobic and transphobic.

4. Wolfwing

Well I'm currently not in school since I just finished 8th grade and as far as I know, the closest thing all the schools I've been to even remotely help lgbt people were just assemblies on bullying in general and we all know how often those stop bullying. Also, I'm assuming the high school that I'm going to be attending will be the same way.

5. ScarletWitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Despite the fact that I go to a Catholic school, we are lucky to have a LGBTQ+ group called Safe Spaces. We really aren't allowed to make it extremely obvious since the school doesn't want to piss off the diocese. But other than that, it's pretty great and fairly progressive for a Catholic school.

BUT there is a religion class called Moral Issues that everyone takes Junior Year. Apparently one of the topics is 'homosexuality'. :/

#5 ScarletWitch, Jun 28, 2016
  6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

My old school does even less. There are no groups. No lessons. Oh, no once in religion it was mentioned: "Oh btw gay people exist. Be nice to them, they don't harm anyone, but shouldn't adopt because they raise psychopaths and that's immoral." Then they changed the topic.

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Absolutely do it! You could definitely start a GSA.
    The "gay agenda" or "pushing the agenda in peoples' faces" is just the language homophobes use to discourage people from speaking up and creating visibility for minorities. I promise you, it would not be counter-productive. Yes, there may be people who get uncomfortable by it, but that's actually progress. As long as you're not doing anything aggressive, it's simply exposing people to the existence of the LGBT+ community more.
    People are homophobic because of a lack of visibility, a lack of conversation mainly. Furthermore, even having a club or some other resource will drastically help any LGBT+ or closeted LGBT+ kids at the school to feel less alone, or to become more comfortable if they are questioning their sexuality. Even if they don't participate, just knowing it's there can have a bigger impact than you know.

My school's small and very accepting in the older grades. The younger grades, however, are larger and a bit less so. There aren't any classes thus far that have really addressed it as subject material, however our teachers are certainly very accepting and open to conversation when those things do come up.

However, my friend is helping to start a health class (we only had a crappy online option before) and it's going to be awesome and very inclusive both in its discussions of gender and sexuality, so I think that will be a big help.

We also have a GSA that my friend started, so that's been good.

But yeah, definitely look into starting something if you want to. With anything like that, I think you have to expect some backlash, but not be discouraged by it. Look into how you might go about starting a club. GSA Network also has some great resources for starting clubs: https://gsanetwork.org/

Good luck!!

8. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Very few homophobic people are in my school, yet I do hear the word gay being chucked around frequently, and in the past people used to use the word faggot. I don't think they mean it an offensive way to LGBT people, but it does annoy me slightly.

My school does nothing though. Doesn't even talk about LGBT topics ever, though some students have bought it up in class presentation or whatever. Our classes are really small though - like the biggest class will have twenty people or less and the smallest class is just one or two people, so having a class presentation isn't really the most effective way of spreading awareness. Maybe I should have organised a whole school presentation on it in school assembly before I graduated, so I guess I only really have myself to blame :/

9. ChameleonSoul

My high school did't have any resources for LGBT+ students because they're simply weren't enough people with an interest in forming a GSA or anything similar. But I would totally recommend setting up a group if you can. Odds are that there's plenty of closeted people there (just like every other school). If I had something similar to this my senior year of high school, I would've felt much more comfortable being myself.

10. Umme

My RSE teacher said that some people are gay because one of the students said something. That's it. My RSE teacher also looks like she's living in the 70s

#10 Umme, Jun 28, 2016
  11. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have a GSA. ^^

In general, people at my school are very supportive of gay rights. Some of the most popular students here are LGBT+.

12. eMei

Nothing. LGBT issues are never mentioned.

13. Solid Snake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I grew up in a pretty boring area where there aren't that many meetup groups for anything, LGBT-related or not. It's a relatively backwards town that offers mostly factory work as it's main draw.
    Which is ironic, because my high school felt more like today's overly sensitive universities in terms of LGBT support. I guess my high school really was ahead of the curve, and not in a good way.

#13 Solid Snake, Jun 28, 2016
  14. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm very lucky to live in one of the very liberal pockets of NC, and my school, because of it's suprisingly large LGBT community, has a GSA as well as hands out cards for students participating in the day of silence to show to their teachers. It's really awesome. My principal is totally pro lgbt, and I can't tell you how grateful I am for that.

15. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thankfully, the use of words like "faggot" in common speech is rarer now than it was in, say, the late 90s/early 2000s. Also, homophobic jokes were rampant back then.

16. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My school (through its staff) promotes homophobia and hatred towards anything non-heterosexual or white. I'm (was) pretty amazed when I read about people out in their community, not to mention about the existence of LGBT support groups.

17. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My school supports Day of Silence. And we are starting a GSA next year. I am one of he co-presidents.

18. SneakyFennec

Ban you and call the police,probably.
    No one dares,we live in the dark.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I do online school so not really much. However there is another online school here in the valley that is for just lgbt students I would do it but you still have to take 6 classes at a time so I wouldn't be getting ahead.

20. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's pretty cool! ^.^