1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Do For LGBT in a Conservative School for School Council

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DoctorSir, Jun 30, 2016.

1. DoctorSir

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello everyone. I will be a senior this upcoming year and I'm hoping to join our Senior Student Council as its president. I've been brainstorming ideas to do in SC for the school and I was thinking about doing something for or in honor of the LGBT community. I've thought about doing a diversity week where each day we wear something for something like African Americans, LGBT, different religions, etc.

My problem is that the public school I go to is for the most part very conservative with many religious people here in the south. There are LGBT in my school, but very few.I'm a closeted bi in a religious and overall socially conservative family as well so you can imagine the difficulty.

What are some ideas and activities I can do at my school without causing alot of outrage, or even being able to do it at all? Something I feel like the LGBT community in my school is forgotten and seen as 'outsiders'. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. <3

#1 DoctorSir, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hard to say from a distance, and without being a part of your school and local community, but if you want to start informing people and beginning public conversations, you could very well be in a position to do so. :slight_smile:

You might start by checking out some websites of LGBT organizations in the southeast, who will be familiar with the culture and politics we live in down here. Southerners on New Ground is an organization that might be helpful - the Campaign for Southern Equality is another one. Maybe something they have to say will spark an idea!

3. DoctorSir

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you for directing me to these resources, @Gravity! I'm hoping to make a positive impact and help educate these people that LGBT isn't bad like a lot of them may think

4. Sandmann

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming from a conservative area it takes time. Years ago at my old High School I don't believe it was thought of to create a Gay Straight Alliance club. But my Junior year they finally did. At first it took awhile but then support gathered. My guess is you have to make it small for now.

5. surferrrr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Cool! Do some searching for GSA's. I know there are some in California that have great resources, websites, and newsletters. You might find some good stuff through the Trevor Project and GLSEN websites as well. On top of that, Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League, and other prominent sports organizations have really stepped up this year and voiced full support for the GLBTQ community.

One focus you could use is suicide prevention. It is an indisputable fact and there is data that some percentage of youth suicides is due to the feeling of lack of support that those people feel regarding their sexuality or questioning their sexuality. So you could use that day of Diversity Week to post the phone numbers and other resources that anyone can use to get help if they need to talk to someone. (Such as the Trevor Project hotline.) I don't know how well that idea would go over, but it might be worth considering.

Also are there any school staff (whether a teacher, administrator, or a counselor) who you know are GLBT supportive that you could talk to for some advice on pulling this off?