1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it bad to be a furry?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by 3n, Jul 1, 2016.

1. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I've come to terms over the past few months that I'm a furry. And of course the wonderful internet calls me things like furfag or animal fucker.....

(Let me get this straight, I don't love animals or anything, I just like the art and the community and the cons are pretty fun)

My friends pretty much have the same feelings about furries when I brought up the topic. Is being a furry really that bad, and why does everyone hate people like me?

*flips table*

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think some people confuse being furries with role playing or the ever-controversial (I might be kicked for saying this here) Otherkin. Atleast I did at a point.

3. TigerStripes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anthrocon on the brain?

If you're having fun without hurting anyone, don't worry about it.

4. Brytaleith

People literally hate on everything and anything. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. Anyway, it's probably controversial because most people are used to Homo sapiens loving other Homo sapiens, but furries extend that to anthropomorphic animals, and that's out of the norm, which might prompt for hate from other people.

5. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To each, his/her own cup of tea.

Being a furry doesn't hurt anyone nor impact the lives of any nonfurries out there. Therefore, it's okay. That simple. :slight_smile:

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Uh, little bit of a rant here, I got carried away.

I'm in the same boat, been called some nasty names before just because I think anthro is an enjoyable art style when done right, and is probably my favorite thing to draw because I find humans kind of plain, and feral cats not too expressive: it's hard to draw a feral cat wearing clothes or wielding laser pistols. So I draw anthro cats as comic characters and I find it to be a nice balance between expression and detail. So I still get to draw a feline space pirate with laser pistols, hah!

Not everybody's into the NSFW stuff, I only draw clean art, yet even after I state that simple fact I still get volatile comments. They always equate it to bestiality, and that thoroughly disgusts me. It's like those people who equate homosexuality with pedophilia, just plain ridiculous.

Won't go into detail, but like the anime fandom, the catholic church, and the MLP dudes there's a few "interesting" people who wander in, seem to be a bit vocal and into some strange things: sort of like "the creepy uncle of the family reunion" I'm quick to avoid them.

So no, I wouldn't say it's bad unless you're doing the gross things some people associate with it. You've already stated that you don't "love animals" so in my book you're in the clear.

Some people are just "eh" and best ignored, whether they are the quick to judge, or the ones who cause the widespread bad name in the first place.

#6 Kira, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  7. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think its really normal
    actually people mistake it for animal attraction, which is eww and wrong on so many levels
    but its actually human love, but mixed with another view for humans
    since furry are human like and are considered half human at least they are just like werewolves and neko etc....even though supernatural species are not real A LOT OF PEOPLE fantasises about them in more ways than another
    i know a group of guys straight btw who love neko like girls and draw this kind of sexy girl cat art,as its really cute hot and adorable for them,does that make them sick stupid or even attracted to CATS ! who ever think about them this way is sick and stupid,same thing for furry !

although im not a furry i find it cute ^^ btw :kiss:

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. Being a rapist, or a murderer, or a thief is bad. Having an interest that others might look down on or be confused by isn't.

9. bryaninau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is nothing wrong with being a furry. Some of my best friends are even though I'm not and I would not trade them for the world. Most of the time people who don't really understand it will judge. Its human nature to judge or make fun of things we don't tend to understand. As long as your safe and not pushing it on anyone its ok. There is never anything wrong with being who you are as these are things we can hardly change.

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Just do it if you like it, hon, you aren't hurting anyone, it's all good. :slight_smile: Diversity and rainbows for everyone, wooo.

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just as others said, it isn't wrong.

If you aren't hurting anyone, then it is ok.

I am a fan of the furry culture myself (i think i can call myself a furry, even if i heard some people saying that you need a fursona and i don't have one. But that's for another discussion :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not bad to be a furry. There are just a lot of people out that that really don't understand what it is all about. That's on them though, not you. I'm another furry around here. Contrary to my username though, my fursona (that is still under development) is a pug.

13. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know a lot about the topic but people have weirder fetishes and hobbies than just that. Besides, I play Skyrim and my favourite race is khajiit, I'd be a hypocrite to criticize furries :lol:

14. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    <--- is also a furry. Even have a fursona on a furry site lol. I don't draw, but I write lots of anthro focused stories.

Ignore those who feel the need to degrade your interests, for they are shallow and insecure about the things they like.

Granted some of the ire people direct to the furry community was earned by members of the furry community. Every group has a bad 10% that everyone bases their opinion of all 100% of the group on. The bad always get the most lime light and media coverage.