1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who gives a single shit?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BananaCrazy, Jul 3, 2016.

1. BananaCrazy

So I've always wondered about this. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    So earlier, I was watching the news, and up came a story about the terrorist attack in Dhaka, India. If you haven't heard, on July 1, gunmen took multiple hostages at the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka’s diplomatic area. The siege lasted almost 10 hours. Six gunmen were shot dead by security forces, while over 20 hostages—mostly foreigners—were killed. What ticked me, was that they started it with "Three American students were among the dead... Let's take a look at who those three students were..."
    Now, when I say 'who gives a shit' I'm not referring to the deaths themselves. Of course it was unfortunate. All those people - were people. They are all going to be missed.
    I'm referring to the fact that they bring it up with the 'Americans'. Over 20 people died. They bring the story up of remembering the three American casualties. Who gives a shit if they were American? They were people. I just feel that it's messed up, that so many people died, and that they feel that they have to - I don't know how else to put it - 'claim' the Americans? It just feels wrong that only three of the 20+ killed were mentioned, just because they were American. You know what I mean? Maybe I don't know enough about the subject to be talking about it, just voicing what I feel.

#1 BananaCrazy, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This happens every time there's an attack abroad, and every time they will only point out the people who are of the same nationality as that news outlet. It pisses me of every time, but I guess it's so people can empathise with it more, as there are genuinely some people out there who only care when people die if they are the same race/nationality as them :frowning2:

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    First of all, I think it's an assumtion (with some truth, though, for all I know, perhaps exaggerated) that people have an easier time empathizing with that which they are more used to, such as people of the same nationality. I also think that saying that their appeal is to empathy is a bit misleading. I would say that their appeal is rather to fear - the fear of "that could have been me!"
    Remember that news networks exist for two reasons: as a public service, but also, and often more importantly, as just another profit scheme like any company. They want to sell, to get that dough. That's their purpose. Thus they have to captivate you in their allotted time.
    I also think it's very unfortunate how the news are focused and so on, but I also don't find it surprising given the nature of the news organs nowadays.

4. Hunter8

Yeah, I think that considering we live in America, more attention will be paid to the deaths of the Americans. I mean those American who died probably have family in this country that are deeply grieving them. I'm not a fan of downplaying the other deaths, but I can understand why the American media would talk most in-depth about the deaths of actual citizens.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Personally I think talking about actual citizens of the world is not less important than talking about citizens of the United States, even if you're broadcasting there.

6. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You live in America, so obviously they would talk about the Americans involved. This is because when something happens to someone close to home, or to someone whom you can put yourself in the shoes of more easily, it has more of an impact on the American audience. In the same way, programmes aimed at kids will talk more about kids and that is the audience. I'm not seeing the problem: as a Brit I would obviously care more about my fellow Brits than others (no offence haha, this is just for the purpose of this subject).

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Why can't you just view people as people? Why do you view Brits as superior or of higher emotional value, even if it's only to you? I don't give one more shit about a Swedish person than a Pakistani, Mexican, Alaskan, Congolese, or whatever person. People are just people.

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People aren't just people though, are they? We love our countries and feel allegiant to our own kind. Being British and English is central to my identity so I have more in common with another Brit than a Swedish, Pakistani, Mexican, Alaskan or Congolese person. Obviously it is a sad thing if anybody dies or is injured, and I have the utmost respect for all cultures, but I would be a lie to say that I am a member of all those cultures or feel pride towards them.

9. BananaCrazy

I get what you're trying to say. There was a lot of crying involved for me when I heard about the Orlando shooting. It hit home, that all those people were massacred for being a part of the lgbt community, and that they were killed for expressing it. I get what you mean, and I agree with it to a certain point. I feel more towards the California college student that was killed for being gay, than I do for the italian shop owner was killed for being unable to recite a line of the qur'an. I feel sympathy for the shop owner, I feel sympathy for both. Yet, not as much as for the college student, because I can put myself in that person's shoes. I can think to myself, "that could have been me". You can relate to that person. I understand that part. What I mean to say, is that you can at least, list the names of all the victims. Have a silent moment of respect, maybe. Just something to honor the other victims, not just the three 'Americans'.

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Cut it out with the universalist generalisations. Not all people feel like this. I don't. What administrative-geographical region you're part of is of zero interest in my evaluation of someone's character. I don't have a fucking "kind". There is no such concept relevant in my mind. I'm me, you're you, Mr. X is Mr. X, Ms. Y is Ms. Y. That's all I need to know.

11. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I say "we" I don't mean me and you (sorry if there's a misunderstanding there). I'm talking about myself and those who agree with me (pointing out that a lot of people are proud of their country) Obviously not all people, such as yourself, feel the same way about their nations, and that's fine. I'm sorry that I didn't phrase my argument very well.

12. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have to agree with Invidia, people are people. Nationality, race, religion, social status, sexual orientation... They don't matter, we all bleed the same color.

It is simply the way the media in most countries operate. Good news doesn't get the ratings. Bad news gets ratings, and the more they can spin it so the viewers are more outraged, thus paying more attention, they make more money. It is less about news and more about money.

13. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Considering the vast differences of opinion in this thread, I like the compromise here. Respect is the key word.

14. Hunter8

I don't see how a country focusing primarily on the deaths of its own citizens diminishes the other deaths involved. The reality is that we are not part of "the world" to the extent where boundary markers for nations disappear and become a non-issue. If an American dies overseas, then of course the American news outlets will pay the most attention to those deaths. That makes perfect sense considering the fact that the grieving family members of those deceased Americans live, well, in America. Therefore, the news coverage in America needs to take extra care in reporting the tragic deaths of the Americans involved. No one is saying the other deaths were not as important. But the American deaths resonate more and hit closer to home, and therefore require more attention.

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

I think there's a fine line between "require" more attention and 'attract' more attention.
    I also think it's worth remembering that nation states have existed but for centuries in our hundreds-of-thousands-year old history as homo sapiens. Not that that means that the idea of the nation isn't something with a pull on people's minds or of material significance. Whether this is desireable or not is up to the person's opinion, of course.

16. BananaCrazy

First of all, I personally don't feel any pride, allegiance, whatever you want to call it.. I'm glad that I was boring in this county, I'll tell you that, but I don't feel an attachment to it.
    Second, It seems that at least one of the victims were only in the US to study. Their family isn't in the county. Not sure if the claim that the story was for the family is that solid.

17. n3ko

it feeds into the general narrative.

18. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's quite normal I'd say. Those people might have had friends or people who had known them back home. Telling the names or background of the other foreigners would have simply been a waste of time in an american news report.

+ I'm quite sure news channels from those other people's countries did also fill their own people in on their unfortunate fellow citizens' identities.

#18 andimon, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going with what Invidia said.

It bothers me when news seems to place more importance on the deaths of other Americans. Like, so what if they're American? That doesn't mean their lives matter more than others'. We're all just human beings; so what if we happen to live in different countries? Why does that matter? I may be American, but I don't feel some sort of pride in being American. I just happen to live here, and I never chose to, either. :confused: