1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to go from here?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lovetoomuch, Jul 5, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

Hello everyone. I was at my job today at my town's library and a very cute boy walked in. I helped him with what he needed and started small talk with him. He signed up for a library card so I was able to get his name (and his phone number, but I am not trying to appear more creepy than this already is). Anyways, when he walked in I thought he may have been gay. Just by the way he was dressed and his mannerisms (not good things to go off, I know). But let me also say, my Gaydar is absolutely terrible so I may be misled.

Anyways, I was helping him out and near the end of our conversation before he left, every part of me wanted to leave my number. Every damn part of me. But I couldn't because I feared things. What happens if he is straight? What happens if he is married or engaged? (He was probably about 25). So, I did nothing.

I tried to be flirty during the conversation, but I don't really come off as gay to most people. He told me he is a lawyer and he moved to my town a few years ago. I probably should have asked about a girlfriend or fiance, but I didn't think to in the moment.

So, instead, I resorted to social media. Facebook, nothing. I then found him on Instagram - he is private but has a profile picture with a girl in it. Dagger to my heart.

His Instagram bio read: "Create your own universe as you go along" *prince emoji* *princess emoji* *ring emoji* *heart emoji* *american flag emoji* *anchor emoji* *boat emoji*

Something about this guy really just intrigued me, but I'm terrible with this stuff and crazy scared. I want to message him more than anything, but I feel like that Instagram profile probably means he is engaged right?

Someone please just help me with what to do. My head is going crazy at this point and I'm overthinking everything now. Thanks in advance for replies.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As exciting as the thought is, my first suggestion would be to keep the conversation and interaction to when you see him at the library. Knowing his information from his library card application is part of your job, and if you use that information to find him somewhere else personally - calling him, looking him up online, etc. - it's possible that it could land you in some hot water at work. So I would caution you very strongly against trying to seek him out anywhere other than there.

That said, there's nothing wrong with finding him attractive - people notice other people all the time. :slight_smile: Just try to put yourself in his shoes - if you suddenly got messaged by someone from the grocery store, or whatever, how would you feel?

So, if he comes into the library again, feel free to chat, and get to know him a little. If a situation comes up where it makes sense to invite him somewhere, or he invites you somewhere, then great. But until that happens, breaking through the professional level of acquaintance (say, messaging online) without knowing if he's okay with that could end very awkwardly.