1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I get more nervous talking to the gender I'm NOT attracted to. Anyone else do that?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DragonsInSpace, Jul 7, 2016.

1. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi. So it's been a while since I last made a thread but I realised something and I was wondering if anyone else experiences this or has any insight.

I'm pretty sure I'm gay. Or at least, mostly gay. Kinsey 5 or so, I think. I'm attracted to women, sometimes to the odd guy but it's rare and is usually just aesthetic attraction. But despite this I find that I get pretty awkward and nervous around dudes and less so around women. If I'm talking to a girl I'm attracted to I might stumble over my words a bit but I'm usually fine whereas if I'm talking to a guy - even a guy who isn't particularly attractive - I'm more likely to be a bit more nervous around him. This usually happens with strangers though, like if I talk to him more often that goes away and I'm fine.

I just assumed that since I'm into women wouldn't I feel like that around them rather than guys? I'm just curious really, wondering if anyone else is like that: gets nervous around the gender they aren't attracted to. Most of my friends are girls, maybe that has something to do with it? I'm not around a lot of guys very often.

2. PerdHapley

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: I get more nervous talking to the gender I'm NOT attracted to. Anyone else do tha

I do! Tends to be because I am worried there's something there. I used to feel more comfortable around the opposite sex when I was younger but as I got older and people's minds started to shift towards relationships I got more and more nervous around the opposite sex. I kind of shied away from them. When I don't think about it, it's not a problem though. And like you, the more I talk the more it goes away.

Try not to over think it! Nerves can happen for all kinds of reasons. You sound quite shy around men.

#2 PerdHapley, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  3. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: I get more nervous talking to the gender I'm NOT attracted to. Anyone else do tha

Glad to see I'm not the only one then! I too used to be more comfortable around guys when I was younger. Most of my friends back in primary school were boys. I see what you're saying about people's minds shifting towards relationships. I think that's when I became more nervous around them too, I'm afraid of coming across as being interested in them even though I'm usually not at all (heteronormativity ugh) so I end up being awkward. Who knows really.

I'll do my best not to over think things, I do tend to be kinda shy around new people though regardless of their gender. It just seems to be worse around men for whatever reason. :/ Thanks for chiming in though!

4. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people

Same, as I don't date other genders besides male/female It can get pretty awk.

5. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Same with me.

6. Brytaleith

I'm asexual and get nervous when talking to everyone. Does that count? :grin:

Anyway, yeah, it sounds like this probably has something to do with society's expectations about relationships. Like, a lot of people still assume straight unless proven otherwise, and so male-female interactions are assumed to be flirting and stuff. I, too, get kind of nervous when talking to boys because there's a higher chance that they'll think I'm flirting when I'm not. Heteronormativity works against you in such ways :frowning2:

7. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I think you hit the nail on the head there, that's probably what it is.