1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being gay is making healthy friendships with males impossible

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IHateBeingGay1, Jul 9, 2016.

1. IHateBeingGay1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    PLEASE read the whole thing and then give me advice.

I'll start by saying I'm 17 and I have mild autism, which already makes making friends very very difficult but not completely impossible

I hate being gay and it disgusts me. I've come close to 'accepting it' (like you would a piece of shrapnel lodged in you that cannot be removed - not in a positive way) after I thought I could get a gay relationship (twice). But both (thankfully for my morality, unfortunately for making friends) turned out to be straight.
    I'm in the closet and I'm 100% gay.
    So far it's ruined what could have been two very good friendships due to me misreading the signs. Whenever a guy is highly kind to me I always interpret it as them hitting on me.

Recently (past 3+ years), I've became less visibly 'retarded' (I just look like a relatively normal, slightly shy guy) and so have been doing a lot less worse socially.

1st ruined friendship
    The first friendship that I ruined from it was last year. A guy from my Spanish class who'd just moved schools (halfway through the year) went out of his way to befriend me when no-one else was interested. He'd come and sit next to me at the back of the class when I was sitting there because I knew no-one in the class, likely out of kindness more than anything. I assumed at the time that this was because he was gay.
    He'd do things that I'd interpret as being interested in me. Quite often he'd sit with his legs spread apart under the table and his leg would rub against mine. Anyway we got talking, and when the classes ended we exchanged numbers.
    We texted on and off for 4 weeks, before on the last day of term I asked if we could go out for lunch together at school. We went out and he paid for my food. I interpreted this as him being interested in me. Throughout the break we spent together I behaved as if I were super attracted to him without saying. To this he seemed kinda flattered.
    Then I went off for the summer and texted him. I said it was fun and we should meet up again. He replied that it was and we definitely should. I was on vacation abroad for three weeks (a few days after texting), so we agreed that we'd arrange it AFTER I returned. After spending most of the vacation borderline obsessing (I get like that over crushes) over him. I texted him asking to meet up and when I didn't get an instant reply I sent a barrage of desperate sounding texts over a period of two days (he could very well have been busy) before he eventually replied saying "This is x's mom, x has had his phone taken off him for being bad" (clearly it was him). I assume the barrage of texts weirded him out big time and now even to this day he avoids me at school.

2nd ruined friendship
    The second friendship I ruined was with a guy from my elementary school who moved away in sixth grade. A few months after I'd recovered from the first incident I found him online, we chatted a lot on facebook and eventually began skyping too.

I came out to him a few months ago and he seemed quite "homophobic" (e.g. "gays are defective" - which is true but not usually said by others) but he said he didn't hate me as a person for it and appreciated how I was "straight acting" and a "non-apologist". He's quite a political guy so we talked about these things a lot.

He was always there for me online when things weren't going my way and always knew what to say to make me smile. I assumed he was gay for various reasons.
    1. He talked about feelings and emotions a lot.
    2. He was more "homophobic" than your average person, which made me think he was in the closet like me, yet still talked to me.
    3. He had some strange, borderline effeminate, behaviors that I'd have thought only a gay guy would have.
    4. He just outright 'looked gay' to me (maybe because I wanted him to).

Eventually, we agreed to hang out for a few days when my dad went on a business trip to his city.
    On the first day he acted as a tour guide and took me around his city. During this point he was VERY kind. He'd continually offer to pay for my food and would always ask if I was happy and what I wanted to do. At this point I was adamant he was closeted gay and all it would take is for me to push him that little bit off the edge and we'd be having sex. As well as his kindness I picked up a few things as being signs of him being closeted gay (interested in me)
    1. He made lots of eye contact.
    2. He was spending lots of time with a guy who he knew was gay (and I'd even told him I thought he was hot and would love to suck him off on Skype - half jokingly).
    3. He done things with me that COULD be interpreted as romantic. Like sitting on a park bench on a river for half an hour just talking and sitting at a table for two in one of the food places we went to - where he looked across a table into my eyes a lot.

At this point I told him, seriously, "You're so hot I'd love it if you'd just fuck my brains out". To which he looked at me and laughed and said "do you enjoy getting puked on?".

For the rest of the day I would try to get as much body contact with him and he flat out told me not to.
    We then met up for another day before I had to go home, and I'd promised him on text "no more weird shit".
    This day I done even more "weird shit" even though I promised not to - thinking that he was "deep closet" and I could coax him to have sex with me. I done particularly obnoxious stuff like practically begging to touch his penis, putting my hand awkwardly on his thigh when we were sitting together, and I even (half-jokingly) slapped his ass. He seemed to laugh most of it off at the time but I figure that was his defense mechanism and he was too kind a guy to punch me.

Anyway, when I got home, he text me and told me that "All your gay shit really weirded me out and I need space to consider whether we can still be friends". He said "I enjoyed 95% of the time I spent with you, but the 5% of the time of you begging to see my penis was particularly unpleasant", "I'm very angry at all your passes".

I gave him two weeks of not texting, and he's just wrote today that he's still furious at all my passes, but since he's a tolerant guy he'll skype me at some point and we'll discuss whether we can be friends anymore.

I think I may be able to solve this one but it will never be the same.

I just want close friends (something I've been deprived of as a kid), not a boyfriend, but every person that could be a close friend I end up "falling in love" with.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a complex issue and given the issues with the mlld autism, not one I feel very qualified to speak on, but I'll try. My understanding is that one of the hallmarks of autism spectrum disorders is difficulty interpreting and undrestanding emotions. However, it's my understanding that, to some extent, you can, with practice, learn to at least read the signs of others' expressed emotions and learn to react accordingly. It sounds like this is one part of the problem.

It sounds like another part of the problem is the impatience/obsession with attaching more to what's going on than is actually there. This is something that I don't really feel qualified to speak on, but I think a therapist with experience working with ASD could give you both good insight and some practical tools to learn to manage this.

Managing close, emotionally intimate friendships for someone with ASD is challenging to begin with because emotionally intimate friendship requires a level of emotional connection that is a lot more difficult to comprehend and nagivate for people with ASD than it is for people who don't have ASD. But my understanding is that you can over time adapt at least to some extent. Again, this is something where work with a therapist experienced with ASD would be helpful.

Are you currently seeing a therapist? If not, would it be possible for you to get into therapy and/or into an interpersonal skills therapeutic group? I think both would do you a world of good and help you to overcome these issues.