1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeping Out Of Boredom?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shadstack, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Has anyone else ever done this? I'll explain it a little more to clarify. I get out of my high school at 3:20PM and usually get home from 3:45PM-4:00PM. Recently, the things that used to interest me like YouTube, videogames and reading just don't grab my attention like they once did. So...I just slept. From when I get in to around 7:00PM or 8:00PM. I've done this nearly every day this week, including today when I got home from my grandparents' ~11:00AM and got up around ~3:00PM. I really hate going outside, I always have since I was a kid, so I don't get out a lot. In the summer holidays, my gramps is taking me to the gym, so that's something I can do. But my current situation now, it's not healthy, right?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have fallen asleep because I was so bored. However if you're sleeping this much I'm wondering are you feeling tired and sleeping a lot? Because you could have mono.

3. faustian1

Sleeping more and losing interest in things can be a symptom of clinical depression. How are you feeling? Do you have other issues of motivation or anything that seems like depression to you?

4. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Oh, uh, great. I'm not sure. Could you read this and tell me what you think? http://emptyclosets.com/forum/general-support-advice/217183-family-life-bit-odd.html

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2016 at 03:51 PM ----------

Not that I'm particularly tired...it's just, why not? What else is there to do?

5. faustian1

Perhaps this supports my theory, but perhaps not also. One thing that comes out from reading the link is that you seem to have dysfunctional family relationships. This certainly can result in overwhelming feelings of helplessness sometimes.

I think it might be helpful if you can find a counselor to discuss many of these things. It often is very difficult to have effective conversations with family members who are in the mode you described. It could help to find someone more neutral to process some of the feelings you have about these things.

6. iiimee

As somebody who's passed out for all sorts of reasons, let me give you alternative answers to depression, which you shouldn't rule out as a possible if you feel even slightly depressed:

1. Stress. It's not just depression, but stress by itself can cause a TON of issues! If you're working too hard or anyone's been giving you a hard time, you should consider this a possible answer to your question.

2. Dehydration. Even moderately dehydrated people can notice a decrease in stamina, especially if they stay dehydrated over a period of time. Have you been drinking water? If not, this should definitely at least help you get a bit better.

3. Thyroid. Irregular thyroid is something I struggle with, and though mine is slight so it USUALLY doesn't effect me, sometimes irregular thyroid, whether hypo or hyper, can make you shift between perfectly fine and perfectly tired real fast. Get your thyroid checked if you don't think any of the other issues I listed or depression is the problem.

7. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

How am I supposed to talk to a counsellor though? I know it's a good idea, but how can I have sessions with one without telling my mum anything?

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2016 at 09:21 PM ----------

I know for sure it's not dehydration, I drink quite frequently. I've never really had trouble with sleeping this much before, I actually had trouble falling asleep from a very young age. Maybe it's my thyroid, I've no idea. It could probably be stress then, I guess?

8. iiimee

^ I also thought that, during the early, late and middle years of puberty, teenagers are known to sleep a lot. You are definitely within that age group, and it hits some people harder than others.

9. Exodia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Perhaps you should find other things to entertain you, for example talk to people on forums. If I'm bored and have spare time I try do excersizes that don't require equipment such as push ups or sit ups.

10. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

I'm kind of excited for Pokemon Go because I'm getting a phone for my birthday tomorrow. :slight_smile:

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Idk what do you do for fun in the UK?