1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting my braces off tomorrow morning (so please reply quickly)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AsiaJ33, Jul 10, 2016.

1. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm scheduled to get my braces off tomorrow morning and I need to know what to expect. Due to severe anxiety, I'm pretty nervous. I also have sensitive teeth so will it hurt? What do they do and how does it feel?

Also. Since my last appointment, my two front teeth have shifted a tiny tiny bit so they aren't quite aligned (and I mean barely. I notice anything that's out of place ahhhh) will they postpone my appointment? Or can they fix it with retainers?

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generally doesn't hurt at all. And they should be able to adjust front teeth with retainers.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never had braces but good luck on getting them removed! :slight_smile:

4. TigerStripes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The removal means that the annoying part is over! Mine made some worryingly loud sounds in the process, but they were nothing. Enjoy that weird, smooth feeling!

5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't recall much, but I know it wasn't as bad as the pain of wearing them. It was great to finally stop dealing with the wires constantly stabbing me and the tightening making eating a potato chip feel like a punch to the jaw. I think most patients are usually sedated during the process too?

6. Brytaleith

Definitely didn't hurt for me. There may be a slight bit of pressure when they're pulling the metal stuff off your teeth, but that's painless, compared to like, everything in general. For me, the dentist used pliers to twist off the metal stuff. It won't hurt even for sensitive teeth. I have sensitive teeth. Your mouth's going to feel really really empty for awhile so you're going to have to adjust to that.

If you want to wait longer to fix your front teeth, you should probably tell the dentist you want to postpone. I don't know if they'll do it for you. Retainers aren't going to fix your teeth. They're made to hold your teeth in place, so like, you'll retain that shape, including the slightly crooked font teeth. Because the dentist will take the mould immediately after you get the braces off, so the mould's gonna take on the shape on your front teeth too. You get what I'm trying to say?

To make the retainers, your dentist will stuff your mouth full of that moulding clay thing to create a mould to make your retainers. It's going to feel fucking weird. Insanely fucking weird. Because like, there's wet goop pressing against your teeth and it doesn't taste like anything and you may find it slightly difficult to breathe (I dunno, I breathe through my mouth instead of my nose. Maybe it's different for you) but actually there's nothing to be scared about because it's all really harmless, just a mite uncomfortable. Oh, also when they pull the mould out, it may feel like your teeth are going to be pulled out along with the mould? But don't worry. I swear they won't be. Your teeth are stronger than a bit of pressure.

Also, be faithful in wearing your retainers. Seriously. I cannot stress this enough. I slacked off wearing mine and a year later, my teeth were crooked again and I super regretted not wearing them. So yeah. Wear your retainers.

Essentially, nothing to worry about. Have fun and don't be scared! The painful half of the journey's done!

7. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I got them off and it didn't hurt neatly as bad as I thought :slight_smile: before braces, my teeth were so crooked that my braces were "medically necessary" so I'm beyond happy to have them off. Thanks!

8. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Getting braces off is freedom. They don't hurt, but sometimes the teeth are a bit caked with the gum they use to keep the brackets on. My dentist didn't bother scraping that off, I had to brush for a while till it came off.

My front 2 teeth were a bit crooked after my braces came off. I had to wear retainer for 6 months. But after braces for 2.5 years I wanted freedom so I used the retainer irregularly , hence one tooth is still a bit crooked. So my advice is don't neglect the retainer. Use it for however long the dentist says.

EDIT -

I apologise. I didn't see your updated post before replying. Glad to know it wasn't painful. :slight_smile:

#8 Ram90, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  9. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's okay! Thanks for the reply :slight_smile: I definitely won't neglect the retainer