1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with the loss of a pet

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by love dont judge, Jul 10, 2016.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, my family got a bit smaller last night. My wonderful cat passed away sometime in the night last night at the vet's office. She's now sleeping among the clouds tonight. I found out early this morning. Previously, she just had her gallbladder removed due to 4 gallstones and it mustve been too much for her too handle. I can still remember the sound of her meow and the texture of her fur and the weight of holding her. I can remember the night when I came from moms to dad telling me that the house was going to be a bit different after he picked me up from my cub scout meeting that night. I walked in and there was my step-mom, playing with this adorable little black and white kitten.
    Now though... I just feel so lost. She grew up with me, went through my middle school years with me, my toughest years so far. I dont know what to do. It's so tough for me. We dropped her off at the vets office because we were going on a trip and she hadn't been responding to the medication they had been giving her for what they believed at the time to be a pancreatitis. That was almost 2 weeks ago and I never got to see her since then. I didn't even get a proper goodbye then. I think that's what's hardest is that I never got to say goodbye. It just feels like there's this giant hole in me right now, like another emotional wound has been added to my growing collection and this one runs a lot deeper than the rest. I just... I can't stop crying. Whenever I think of a memory over the past four years she's there and it just sets me off again. I know that grieving is a natural thing and I should let myself, but it just feels so... empty right now. It hurts a lot. I guess I just needed to say this to someone. Thanks if you've read the whole thing. I just don't know where to go from here... :tears: I'm sorry if there are any mistakes in here... I'm on my phone and can't think the clearest at the moment either.

#1 love dont judge, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Aww... I can understand, my grandparents just had to do the same thing with one of their cats a week ago or so. : ( We used to play out in the lawn with a stick... if I took a break for too long catching my breath he'd cuddle my leg to say it's time to play again. He was such a nice kitty...

Hope you feel better. xx

3. seraton6296

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    :tears::tears::tears:

Can't even imagine what you're going through. Honestly no idea what i'd do when my dog passes on.

4. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So sad! Here, take this. (*hug*)

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I empathize. My dog had drowned to death in 2008, and it tore me apart for more than a year. It's really hard to think about anything else. Eventually I moved on, but it took a lot of time. Pets are like family members that we are close to.

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw, I'm so sorry. That's so sad. I love my dog to pieces.

(*hug*)

7. n3ko

I am so so sorry. *hug*
    I know words cannot alleviate what you are feeling in any way. you are going to feel such an enormous loss at the moment and nothing can take the pain away.
    focus on taking care of your basic needs, and keeping busy. allow yourself time to grieve. there is no perfect process of grief. your grief is your own and is normal to you.
    perhaps talking to a counsellor would help?

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry for your loss. I lost a cat a few years ago, it fell from a window and by the time I noticed it was too late to do anything, except watching it suffer briefly before it died. Not an experience I would ever want to go through again, which is the main reason why I gave up on pets...

Just keep in mind that if it was suffering, there was no point in keeping your friend alive. You do have every right to cry right now, all you want to... That's normal...

Hope you feel better soon...

9. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, I'm sorry for your loss,it sounds like you loved your cat very much and you were a good owner. When your feeling a bit better you could consider getting another cat or pet it doesnt replace the one you lost but you will be able to offer a great home and pets give so much love.
    Take care X

10. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your lovely cat. (*hug*) It really is devastating to lose a beloved pet and you need to take the time to grieve. Be patient with yourself.

Personally, when I've my pets died, I haven't found it any easier to say goodbye to them first - often at that point they are too tired to properly interact with you. I think the most important thing is that you were there for her while she was with you and contributed to her living a happy and full life. I'm sure she had a great life with you.

It really is a loss, and will take time to recover from. My thoughts are with you!

11. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you EVERYONE for all of your sweet responses. It means a lot to me to know that there are other ppl out there who understand what it means to be that close to an animal that it becomes part of your family. I got a text from my stepmom saying that we might get another kitten when we return from our upcoming trip. They went to the humane society (we should honestly be banned from there lol. We always come home with someone. Hehe... all jokes aside) and fell in love with this adorable little kitten. They decided that as long as she's still there when we get back well probably get her. This is great news for that little kitten, but I am having mixed feelings about all of this. I know that they mean the best, but I'm just not sure if im ready to take on another kitten right now. Bristol's death hit me hard and fast and ended up triggering a lot of other things and I got really dark for the past couple days. (Thats why I've been unable to reply until now) Now, the concerse of that is the fact that this could be exactly what I need. It's not like we're getting her right away. We won't be back from our trip for about 2 weeks, and this is all guaranteeing that she's still there when we get back. Just wanted to provide a little update as to where I was at with everything right now. Once again, thank you SO much for all of your lovely replies. They've helped a lot.(*hug*)