1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who to sit with at lunch?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kobra kid, Jul 10, 2016.

1. kobra kid

I've felt anxious about this since the last day of school, and now that the next school year is coming up I'm getting nervous again. As of the last week of school last year, I'm not a part of my previous friend group, and I have no friends at all. None.

Anyways, as someone with social anxiety, it's hard enough to ask people I know to sit with them, let alone new people! I don't want to be that weird kid who eats all alone, but I get really scared whenever I have to approach people.

So how do I find a group of people to eat lunch with? There are maybe three types of people at my school and none of them are that appealing to me. I would most fit in with the emos but they're all really...sketchy, I guess? They all do drugs and other illegal stuff that I'm not sure I want to do. And I'm acquainted with some of the nerdier kids but they only ever talk about school, which, no thanks. And then the popular people are an obvious no-go. Am I even in a position to be choosy? idk. ANY advice on how to find a table is helpful.

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure I'm qualified to give any sort of advice in this regard since I spent most of my years sitting alone or not speaking, but once I got to my Junior year back in high school I'd actually found a group for the first time ever, since my best friend (And one of my only friends) happened to be there in the same lunch setting for once. I just sort of followed her and we ended up in a group that were really awesome and accepting, despite living in a super judgmental town. So I guess sometimes friends of your friends tend to share a few common interests.

Of course I'm "that weird girl who sits in the corner and draws cats" so if someone else has any advice to present, it is likely more effective than my own. :lol:

#2 Kira, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  3. BeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh, I know how you feel. Last year, before I had to drop out, I was caught between the nerds and the queer/emo. Their was never a place for me. But I think that it was better that way. I never had to worry about fitting in or liking all the same things as someone else. I could be myself apologetically. So I was.

So instead of trying to find a place, why not carve your own? When you show people that you are you, they tend to gravitate towards you because you have it figured out.

Now, on a side note, is Mikey your favorite? I personally was in love, and still am in a different way, with Gerard. (Pun intended.) Lol, jk. No, actually Frank but that pun was to good to pass up (I typed it without thinking, apparently my brain is funnier then me.)

4. FMU Fam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dude, I know it seems dismal now, but once the time comes things will just fall into place. At least they always do for me. Your worries are nothing more than that: worries. They have no grounds in reality. Everything will be all right.

5. HuskyLover

As someone who have had social anxiety for many years now and is lonely as well, I can strongly relate. It is incredibly hard for us to make friends as we're constantly terrified of embarrassing ourselves and so on.

My suggestion for you is to instead of finding a table to sit at during lunch time, look out for people you see doing things you also enjoy doing. Basically like finding someone that shares an interest with you. Once you've done that, you have to try to "befriend" that person. Yes, I know how you're thinking now, but trust me, you will never overcome your fears if you never challenge them.

Basically, find someone you could consider to be your friend, and then you go with them to lunch instead. I mean, if you're friends, going with them is more than obvious. I think that's better than to find a group of people to eat with who you have nothing in common with. Of course I could be wrong but I do wish you the best of luck! And hey, if you need to talk, I'm here :slight_smile:

6. kobra kid

Thanks for the advice! Also, they're like, all my favorite but if I had to choose I'd say Mikey, because he's Mikey, haha. I feel like I can relate to his quietness and stuff. I also love Gerard because Party Poison was superr cool and gender-nonconforming and plus he's awesome in general :grin:

7. Mitchell

I always had lunch in the study hall area with the faculty...

Why not just sit where it's most comfortable for you? I just enjoyed having lunch there as I had my laptop out and I'd watch a movie.

8. Glowing Eyes

I've got social anxiety too and I just couldn't handle lunch time during 9th grade. I tried sitting in the cafeteria at first but I just couldn't stand the loud noises and not even being able to hear myself speak. Then I tried the courtyard but I just felt watched 'cause I always sat in the pathway (I guess that's what I could call it). Then I started to eat my food outside my lunch period class which was fine at first but I got insecure over that too. For pretty much the rest of the year I ate food in the bathroom stalls. I know it sounds uncomfortable but I felt more secure and less judged.