1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I should quit weed but I cant see how

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by zeecoop, Jul 12, 2016.

1. zeecoop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Im 22 and lifes good.

I need to quit weed for one reason:

I want my memory back. I want my wit back. I know it sounds stupid... but i want to be smart "again". Smoking weed over the last 7 years has turned me into a boring, slow-thinking moron.

But... what if this is just me? What if I am just this stupid? What if I quit weed and month later, i still struggle to remember the past hour of my life or what I did the day before?

I've smoked constnatly since I was 15/16, so it might just be before I smoked, I was young and my brain was highly active - but now im old and old people brains are just sucky at everything...

I love smoking weed though, i dunno what to do..... i probably forget i even write this post by the time I leave work and go to pick up another bag

2. JayJay234

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've smoked regularly since I was 15 and sometimes I feel the same way. I go through phases where I will not smoke at all and that really helps. Usually around 3 months and that gets things in perspective for me.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Weed can permanently damage your brain. But you're pretty young, so if you would cut down a lot or quit I think you'd have a good chance of recovering your wit. Some tips:
    1) Distractions and substitutes can work well. Maybe instead of a puff you can suck on a lollipop or something (no pun intended, lol). Or put on some intense music. Watch a film, read a book.
    2) Consulting with a doctor or support group can also help you. I understand if that might feel shameful or so, but it's really nothing to be ashamed about. A doctor could give you an examination, a support group could help motivate you to give up the smoking.

Good luck.

4. JustJJx

It might all depend on what weed you're actually smoking.
    If you're smoking Skunk then yeah, that's gonna have a detrimental affect on your brain. But if you're smoking a nice Sativa it should be giving you a nice social buzz, the sort of high you clean the house in. If you've been smoking nothing but Indica's for 7 years then i can totally feel how you're feeling!

Try weening off, try cutting down ya smoking day by day, limit to maybe 3 joints or three how ever you smoke.

Remember, moderation!! Weed is far less harmful then prescription drugs and alcohol but still be safe with it pal :slight_smile:

5. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    from what i understand it takes 2 years to fully quit smoking weed, i guess maybe the psychological addiction to it or sumthing idk..i used to smoke and it would make me totally like "fuk it" to everything..for instance: "i like smoking, my job drug tests, if i get fired 'fuk it', ill just move to oregon or washington and live off the land or travel with the seasons, thatd be pretty kool, 'fuk it'.." haha yeeea....now that i quit i feel more like an adult really, like getting my shit together having an awesome career and just being responsible and whatnot..thats just my personal take on it tho, everyone is different

6. zeecoop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So... I'm now in massive debt and can no longer smoke weed.

My brother (who i Live with) continues to smoke weed and will be smoking every day (he wont stop smoking)

I feel like such an idiot. Not only have I chased weed over (probably) the best years of my life in terms of youthfulness, but i've gotten myself into debt about 3 times.

My nan died and i recieved 9k at around age 18/19. I wasted pretty much all of it (drugs). today I'm paying off over £3k to my mum (from the last time she bialed me out) and I'm paying over £2.5k in loans (one is over 18 months and comes up to about £1.5k).

I hate my job... which is a very new thing for me. I've not felt this stuck and like im in a prison since school times. But this is worse becasue its all my fault.

Last night I realised how dire my situation is and I couldn't sleep or eat I got to sleep probs around 4/5 in morning. Now It's 10:00am and Im in work... tired asf and hungry asf.

Ive got 10 days to find £200 to pay off my loans. I just dunno wat im to do. I wish i could go home, shower, cook a meal, drink water and get my head togetther. But I cant. I find my house morbidly depressing, my mum constnatly is on my back and my dog bites me. also I need to sleep first because im srsly tired rite now.

fml ful faol

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's possible to get hooked on weed but never say never. Anyways if you can I would just slowly limit yourself day by day.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Current forms of weed are up to 40% THC. The largest number of new admissions to many rehab centers are for weed, not for opiates or stimulants.

Weed impacts the same neurotransmitter pathways that opiates and amphetamines impact. It is absolutely addictive.

And as an earlier poster said, in part because of the fat soluability, it takes much longer to detox from weed and get it all out of your system than it does for opiates or stimulants. The professionals I have worked with say 6 months is typical and up to a year is not uncommon before all of the "fog" starts to lift.

Unfortunately, with the higher potencies, when people start smoking at an earlier age and smoke regularly, the risk of long-term brain damage (memory and cognition issues, neurotransmitter system damage) is significant, and the damage to the developing brain can severely impact social adjustment and interactions. This damage is somewhat repairable but it can in some cases take years.

And, by the way, this is true for all varieties of weed. the "mild" ones aren't exempt.

OP: This might be something difficult to kick by yourself given what you've described. Have you considered going to a rehab facility and asking for help? There are many publicly funded ones, and a lot of resources to help you when you're ready to seek help.

9. rado84

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, at least you have something to quit. I haven't smoked weed for about 15 years because all our local dealers were either killed or put in prison. I've never been able to get addicted to weed (unlike tobacco cigarettes) and I've been dreaming of a single weed cigarette for a very long time.

10. faustian1

Well yes, but that is true for most people with alcohol, too. That is, they do not develop a severe physical dependence, but cannot quit due to psychological "addiction."

I have some experience, with giving up substances. One of my relatives and several of my friends smoke weed, like I used to smoke cigarettes. This means, first thing in the morning, every 30 minutes after that, and whenever they take a break, day in and day out.

And yet many of these people display the same, obvious signs that 12-step people had, before they quit alcohol. A lot of weed smokers:

• Rail against smoking tobacco, but swear to God that pot causes no lung damage whatsoever, when smoked every 30 minutes;
    • Claim they can drive better stoned than when not stoned (they have some scientific support for more limited impairment than alcohol drinkers, however);
    • Suggest that anyone who has problems or who perceives they have problems from pot simply need to smoke a "better grade" of weed

Now, for the record before the True Believers land on me, I should note that I campaigned for and voted for legalization of pot in my state, one of the several states which have legalized it. The one thing that defines addiction, if one needs a single criterion, is that the substance "takes over one's life" and one lives for the substance.

So yes, more power to you if you feel you would be better off without it.

#10 faustian1, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016