1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents think I'm choosing wrong.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by spencersalad, Jul 15, 2016.

1. spencersalad

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a trans boy who came out three years ago, I'm 17 now and my parents still do not accept or believe that I'm trans. They think it's a "phase" (shocker) and that I'm choosing the hard path of life.
    They tell me I could have had everything in life because I'm a pretty girl. They tell me I'm smart but that I'm making a very stupid decision. My mom thinks that I emulate people and that's why I'm 'gay'. She also thinks that being transgender is a sexuality and that it'll pass once I get a boyfriend. My dad won't even talk to me about it, he just ignores me and yells at my mom to change me.
    I got into a LGBT camp and because I'm still a minor, I need their consent, my mom gave it but is still very upset and blames me for my dad's stress. My dad is beyond upset and thinks that someone is going to shoot me at this camp.
    Obviously I didn't choose to be transgender. How do I show them that I'm not choosing this life?

2. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for your difficulties. That's great that you found this camp. I would pose the question there too.

You may not be able to change their mind on anything. You might remind them, especially your dad, that they can't change you and it isn't their fault. Yelling at each other or you only raises everyone's stress level.

3. L0ser

It can be tough to convince people that it's not a phase, especially when they refuse to look at in any way other than a "phase." If its been 3 years since you came out, I'm sorry that they haven't come around yet. I'd try to explain to them how you feel, and show them articles(or anything like that) about being transgender. Maybe if they get a better understanding of it they'll realize that you're not choosing to be transgender. Maybe at the camp you could ask for some help in explaining?

I get that parents can be worried about their child when they come out, but you are certainly not the reason for that stress. It's unfair to blame you for their inability to understand that their child is transgender, especially since you've tried to explain already. It's not their fault, it's not yours either. You're just transgender, and hopefully they'll understand/accept it soon.