1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting Hair Short

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rainbow Lantern, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Rainbow Lantern

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okay, so I know this might seem like a small thing but I don't know - it makes a difference to me. I've been considering cutting my hair short (like a guy's haircut) but I'm not entirely certain.

I tried shoving my hair in a hat to imitate short hair and I liked it. Like a lot. It just felt right, it felt like me, like the way it was supposed to be - if that makes any sense. And for a while I was like "yeah, I'm doing it - I'm cutting it." But I don't know - sometimes I think my hair looks nice long, but it is also more of a hassle. And I'm worried I would miss it if it was gone.

A couple of my family members suggested cutting it a bit at a time but to be honest I'd rather just cut it all off than do it a bit at a time. It is mostly deciding between really short or waist length. But the problem is this year at my dance studio we are doing the wizard of oz and I prefer the Dorothy solo to some of the others - but I don't want the teacher to be less willing to consider me for the role if I do cut my hair short (when it comes to ballet things like that are actually a factor - especially since Dorothy has those iconic braids and since a lot of the other roles have longer hair as well).

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's just hair after all - it grows back. Once you're done with your Oz play I don't see any reason to hesitate if that's really what you want.

3. Rainbow Lantern

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the reply! I know - it is just kind of a long wait though because even though try-outs are in December the actual show wouldn't be until June. But I get what you are saying. I know it is kind of silly of me to make a whole thread about it but I just like getting other people's input before making decisions.

4. musiclife

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do it! I took off 16 inches of hair last year and i love it. If you dont like it, it grows back. I personally like girls with shorter hair. :wink:

5. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    definitely do it!! i plan to cut my hair really short too i can't stand having long hair anymore it doesn't feel right to me and short hair looks really hot on girls! :wink:
    but if it's a big problem for your oz play.. then all you can do is to wait..

#5 jenne, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is only hair and it will grow back. Chop it short, and keep it kind of messy and wild. That's kind of my favorite hair cut on a girl, short and wild or really long.

You won't know if you like it until you get it cut.

7. Brytaleith

I shaved my hair twice previously for a cancer charity thing and so far, it's my favourite hairstyle. Besides, it's not a bad look.

8. hotblue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Theres this great thing about hair -- it almost always grows back. I think you should get it cut, it seems like you want it. Just think about it, if you do cut it, you might miss your long hair, sure. If you don't cut it, you're going to keep on wanting to cut it. I felt the same way as you do right now, and I got it cut and am quite happy with it now. Just remember, if you get it cut and don't like it, it grows. :grin: good luck

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2016 at 09:45 PM ----------

As for the play, you could buy a nice long wig and wear it for the tryout and for the rehearsals and such. Or just wait until the play is over.

9. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

That's exactly me right now! I've been playing with the idea for a while, but not sure if I'll miss my long hair. Honestly, I think just going for it is the only way to know. And I think it can be a good experience too, especially if, like me, your long hair has been a big part of your identity and look to others for so long. Based on what you wrote, it sounds to me like you probably want to get it cut:slight_smile:

Some advice, bring in some pics you find of your ideal haircut when you go to get it cut, and if you see someone else with a haircut you like maybe ask them how exactly they ask for it to be cut. I'd also recommend going to a place you know does good short haircuts (I've heard some bad experiences going to random places) but I don't mean to scare you, it will probably work out awesomely and what's most important is that you'll love how you look and feel!

I guess wait until the tryouts/oz show is done. Or, perhaps, you could wait and if you get the part you want, then talk to the dance teacher about how you are getting your hair cut soon and whether you could wear a wig.

Good luck! Also, let me know how it goes/what you decide!

10. Rainbow Lantern

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, thanks for all the responses guys!:slight_smile: It really does help for me to hear (well not technically hear but still...) it from other people. I think I'll do it - maybe even before the school year starts. But I am doing summer dance classes too so I'll just ask what my teacher thinks and try not to be awkward about it... If not I could, like you guys said wait until afterwards. I mean it would only be like another year - it's not like I haven't already had it this length for a lot of my life.

11. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Go for it! I cut my hair short a few months ago, and it's awesome!