1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freaking out after getting touched

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Aptiva, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So today I gave money to a homeless person and I slightly touched their hand when I did. You see, this is going to sound ridiculous, but I literally just got scared I might have gotten HIV from him. I have a small cut on my finger close to where my finger touched his hand and I washed my hands four times with soap about 20 minutes after.

His hand was dry and I didn't see anything on my finger afterwards, there was also no smell either so I don't think anything was on his hand. The thing is, I just got finished with my previous freak out when I had my first experience with another person, testing negative for HIV three times. I'm now freaking out again, any advice would help.

2. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope someone else can clearly explain why it is extremely unlikely to encounter active HIV this way, and even less likely for it to be transmitted to another person this way. I don't want to risk saying the wrong thing by trying to explain in any detail.

To the OP: I suggest writing a better title so people know it's about HIV, not about getting touched.

3. iiimee

I'm just going to tell you that I'm 99.9% sure you don't have HIV or any STDs from him unless you banged this dude and haven't told us about it. XD

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HIV is contracted from a transfer of bodily fluids (blood, seven). Sharing needles, unprotected sex, etc can put you at risk for HIV. Shaking/touching someone's hands does not give you HIV.

#4 Jax12, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you often freak about things like this? Do you have obsessive thoughts about, for example, contracting HIV? If so, your problem might lie somewhere in the anxiety spectrum. Have you talked to a GP about this? It might be a good idea.