1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start HRT in UK?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Generic Name, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Generic Name

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't feel like this fit into the other subcategories, so I might as well ask here.

So, as you can tell from my location, I'm in the UK. Due to my current situation, I don't want to go through my GP, then to a GIC, just to get access to HRT. I'll be moving (back to) Ireland in November, and from what I've heard, going through the GP to get HRT is quite a long-ass process.

So, because of that, I'm looking into doing it myself, but I'm in need of some assistance, as I'm not exactly sure how to go about this. From the little research that I've done, I know that I need to obtain spironolactone, and some form of estrogen (oestradiol?), but honestly, I have no clue where to obtain them, or how much they'll cost. I'm 18, so going to the GP for a blood test every now and then shouldn't be a problem.

So, if any MtFs, or anyone in general can help me find the right path, I'll be extremely grateful.

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there is a route to obtaining HRT treatment that would totally preclude involvement with the NHS. You may be able to pay for a professional assessment/diagnosis, but it's likely that you would have to re-enter the NHS service to obtain HRT and ongoing care and support. If you intend to return to Ireland in November, time may be against you.

It's important that you only begin HRT treatment under medical supervision. It's very risky to consider any other approach.

3. Generic Name

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess my safest option is to consult my GP, and when I move, consult my GP in Ireland as well. Cheers :slight_smile: