1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People Say I May Be Autistic or a Sociopath

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SecretlyKing, Jul 27, 2016.

1. SecretlyKing

I'm probably not supposed to post about this here or maybe not at all on this site, but wasn't really sure where to do it.

Anyway...

Recently, a friend was talking about me and had began discussing how I was most likely a sociopath. Then the other friend soon agreed. And later, the second friend's mom said it was probably actually autism. [I was told of this conversation days later by friend 2]

I've been informed that apparently their reasons were that I don't function in romantic, sexual and friendly relationships well, I don't really understand other people's emotions and don't seem to care either way, I obsess over specific things, repeatedly preform actions or say words, dislike specific fabric feelings, my hearing is over sensitive, I have a genius IQ and have depression, seem to always be moving, rocking or fidgeting and can't focus 100% on things.

I didn't really realize any of this, but it seems like most of what they said about me is right. Are any of them right..?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you are very likely too hasty in diagnosing yourself, as they are in telling you you have things.

Life is hard for preteens and teenagers, and you're right in the middle of that age range. You are expected to handle a more complex environment and your brain is just beginning to develop more advanced processes, which never happens all at once.

Even listing those symptoms, it could be anything or nothing. Only experts will be able to tell for sure if they are just personality traits, or if they fall on the autism spectrum.

For what it's worth I'm not really in touch with other people either. But obsessing over certain things will eventually be a huge plus to you-- it's the only way to master a tough skill. Best of luck to you. :slight_smile:

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could also be a perfectly normal teenager too. I agree with Argentwing, friends and friends' parents are not good sources of mental diagnosis. Unless one of them is an actual trained psychologist.

I am neither autistic or a sociopath, I dislike certain fabrics (wool, oh how it itches so) and I don't really like people. Except for the small group of people I do like... Totally with you on the fidgeting and not being able to put 100% focus on a single task. That could be ADHD though... Hey look a squirrel...

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds more like autism to me. Sociopaths can't even experience depression, they can't experience deep emotions at all.

5. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, absolutely incorrect.

6. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm autistic, and a lot of that, especially the obsession, sensitivity to touch/sounds, and high IQ are all big alarm bells for Aspergers or Autism. HOWEVER. Self-diagnosis= BAD BAD BAD BAD. If you really think you have autism or a personality disorder, go and get tested. That's the only way to know.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should do more research about both before jumping to any conclusions. People believed I had OCD for the longest time but they turned out to be wrong.

8. AmyBee

Basically, people trying to diagnose other people don't really know what they're talking about even if they've had personal experience. It's still guess work on their part and definitely colored by personal prejudice and expectations. And I don't know why people would even want to tell you or start talking about the possibility you might be sociopathic. That just seems rude to me. We don't go around telling people they have diabetes or diverticulitis. Well, some people do, but if they're not doctors they're just being UNhelpful. But for some reason we just LOVE to diagnose people's mentality because we saw Dr. Phil talking about it on TV or read a headline on MSN while checking our email or something, or follow someone on Twitter. So, in short, don't take what they say seriously.