1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctors, self harm scars?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really sure if this goes here, sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have a quick question :slight_smile: I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow and I have some scars, maybe seven at most. A few are faded but four are very noticeable. Those are two on my thigh and two on my arm, are the doctors going to ask about them? My parents don't know I had self harmed in the past, I told them my arm got scratched by branches and they don't know about the ones on my thigh. Is it obvious to medical professionals when they're self-inflicted? I'll probably get my blood pressure taken tomorrow so they'll see the arm ones, are they going to ask about it? Could I cover them with something? Thanks :slight_smile:

2. HuskyLover

I've been in that situation. I have a scar on one of my arms and it's very noticable. Most of them don't care, and if they ask, it's just out of pure curiosity. Don't worry about it! :slight_smile:

3. robclem21

As a medical student, most certainly do care. They won't pry into your whole personal life unnecessarily, but its something we are trained to notice and inquire about if we are concerned. Mental health and suicide is incredibly important to deal with, and when a doctor asks, its not out of curiousity but concern.

You should feel comfortable talking to your doctor about any issues you are having and be confident that they will not tell your parents without asking you if its okay. They are looking out for your health and safety, but if you aren't ready to talk they won't force you.

4. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if this applies to medical doctors, but I know that it does for counselors, so tell me if I'm wrong someone. Everything you say is completely confidential UNLESS they think you are likely to harm yourself or someone else. This happened to me when I told a counselor at school I was thinking about suicide a lot and she had to call my mum and tell her the story. Most doctors will either be concerned or they won't care. If they do bring it up, they shouldn't mock you or judge you, so I'd be honest if I were you. If any doctor does say something out of curiosity or they are judging you, then they are a crap doctor so tell them it's none of their god dam business. :wink:

#4 jaska, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  5. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone, I'm at the clinic now. I'll see what happens...