1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how and where do you meet others?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by binaryMoods, Jul 28, 2016.

1. binaryMoods

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm 46 and I don't have any gay friends. I don't have many friends anyway. I was trying to ignore my sexuality but I feel I need someone to talk to, hang out with, go to movies etc and be myself.

I tried posting ads on Craigslist looking for other asexual males but with little luck. I don't want to come out to the whole world, I just need to find a friend to talk to.

Is looking for someone on the Internet the only option?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there - sorry it took so long to get a response to you.

The first thing to do might be to involve yourself in some sort of social setting/group/organization intended for LGBT folks. This could be a bar (likely a more community-oriented one - they do exist! - and less of a hook-up one), a community center, a meetup, a local business, a sports team, a PFLAG chapter or similar organization, or any other number of things. I don't know if you'd be comfortable attending a group gathering and being out about your sexuality while there, but it would be the easiest way to meet other non-straight men.

If you're not comfortable doing that at this point, try sticking around EC and posting for now. Get to know some people, and see if this is a side of yourself that you might be comfortable exploring in person as well as online. :slight_smile:

3. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I posted an ad on Craigslist myself when I first came out...(2weeks ago lol). Figured it was a waste of my time, granted I'm not in a major centre, so it's a bit different. Title was Looking for a friend maybe relationship, quick brief description, nothing detailed and rate inbetween all the 1 line responses, and other guys looking for a quickie. I found someone to talk to, Ive been honest rate from the start and as far as I know he is honest, we aren't right for each other that was obvious rate off the start and we will probably never meet Irl but it's been nice to have someone else besides all the wonderful people on here to talk to, maybe it's the thought I could maybe meet him Irl that's helped open me up a bit more in conversation. I'm not sure. But I guess what I'm getting at is don't stop looking

4. binaryMoods

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks guys, yea I'm finding my own ways by trial and error. I knew CL was always sketchy but I gave it a shot and not sure yet if it paid off but I'm not keen on placing any ads there anymore.

I'm also going to try a group I found on meetup that suits my interests. But mostly I think I'm going to do it online. I was just curious what and how others were doing it. Maybe a find friends or date section here would be useful idk.

5. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me...I've met people from hanging out with friends and then they would introduced me to various people they knew because I was with them. I also met people from working as a bartender in a gay club which also put me in the position to meet a broader range of gay people from all walks of life. Lastly, I volunteer time with gay charity events which also opened areas to develop new acquaintance as well.

6. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    there are usually meet up group in most towns
    i like had no queer friends at all
    you'd be amazed how just talking with others who are like you
    will make you feel more secure