1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving my country for a boarding school...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sigtu12034, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys so i am a danish person living abroad, in lebanon :/ .

I definetely prefer denmark. People are very accepting to gays, they are all very nice, and its an amazing country to live in (+all the boys r beautiful :lol: )
    I decided that next year, i wanna move there, when im 14.
    The problem is, my parents wanna stay in lebanon, so if i move im gonna have to go to a boarding school. So far, im fine with it. However, im not really sure a boarding school is a really good place. Like i have no idea what we do in the afternoons and the weekends. Do we just sit there and wait for time to pass? Is it a depressing life?

Im not going to a cheap boarding school, im going to a relatively expensive one if that helps.

Im not sure what the question is, but i would like some advice on this and what are your ideas?
    Thank u :lol:

2. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I'm not sure about boarding schools in Denmark, but I know my boarding school had plenty of things to do, and it wasn't an expensive one either. They would often organise things to do, and there are fields, sporthalls and astroturf to play sports on. There were also common rooms for the houses that usually came with films (or you can bring your own) so you can watch those, or read, or talk etc. I'm not sure if most schools have this, as ours was a military school, so the mod contributed to the cost of wifi and ipads for us, so we could talk to family on deployment, but we could use them for leisurely purposes as well. Before that we just used the computers that were in the library or in the houses. There's definitely plenty of things to do though, so you shouldn't end up staring into space, unless you want to of course. Plus on weekends we could go into the local town/village thingy where there were shops, and as we got into the older years, we could take the train or bus to nearby cities.

And is it a depressing life? I think it depends on the person. The rules can often be quite (sometimes ridiculously) strict in my boarding school, but once again I think it depends on the school. The only thing I would be concerned about is bullying. I was bullied during my first couple of years at school, and obviously you can't just go home in the evenings, you have to deal with that shit, and sometimes teachers can be pretty crap in dealing with these matters. But then again, everyone as assholeish to each other at the beginning, cause we were a bunch of 10-12 year-olds in a new and strange environment and everyone is super insecure. So normally by the time we're 14 the bullying just fades away. But there can be drama, but it's easy to avoid it if you just ignore it. Also, (at least in my school anyway) we couldn't work during the term time, not even on the weekends, so it was hard to make money to save up for after you leave school if you need to, or just to build up work experience.

Despite the cons, boarding school is pretty great. You make super close friends, and you can often get more opportunities at these kind of schools, and they do look good on your application to universities or colleges, as they're something a bit more different than usual, so you stand out just that little bit more. There's also loads of different things to try, extracurricular wise, and if you have enough money to go on the trips, you can visit many different places, and people at my school were always raving about how great these trips were. It also teaches you how to be more sociable, and more independent from your parents, while still having a support network available to you.

Sorry for the essay lol, just got carried away. Although other boarding schools will probably be different from my one, I hope this helps :slight_smile:

3. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you that was really helpful :slight_smile:
    Im actually trying to find the least strict boarding school. And im not worried about bullying, although i may not be able to make many friends very easily, i think ill fit in just fine.