1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm all of a sudden sufering from depression today and need some cheering up

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BelieveinLove94, Jul 31, 2016.

1. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm all of a sudden sufering from depression today and have no one to talk to

I have anxiety and depression. I do take anti depressants but today for some reason my depression is coming full force. I just started thinking about my future. Everything seems to be going well for me. I have a job, I am in college and will be finished after this year hopefully. I'm going into Human Resources and love my chosen profession. I'm happy with myself for the first time in my life.

I guess I'm just at a point in my life where I'm wondering if I'll ever find someone to spend my life with who loves me like I love them. My stepdad always says that gay people can't have a long happy relationship, I guess I'm wondering, since I'm a lesbian, if I'm just destined to be alone and unhappy. My stepdad always says that's how gay people end up. It's just really getting to me and I'm not out to anyone in my family so I can't talk to them about this. I'm just upset and feel alone right now.

2. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know why but my depression is seriously acting up today. I just feel like crying. I need some cheering up

3. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

You've got plenty of support from the good folks here on EC.

#3 peterw78165, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  4. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It happens to everyone from time to time. Just know you aren't alone, especially on this site.

5. Embi

Embi Guest

Don't worry, things will get better, you are definitely not alone (*hug*)

6. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure you're aware by this stage in the process that this is how depression works - every so often, it flares up, unexpectedly, and life is suddenly all the harder for it. But it will quiet down too. :slight_smile:

As for relationships - I'm sure your stepdad is a good person at heart, but I'm afraid he's wrong - gay people form loving, long-term relationships all the time. I've known several couples myself! Plus, with same-sex marriage legal across the US now, people are getting married every day. That's not to say we don't have extra hurdles to overcome (such as people not believing LGBT folks can form long-lasting relationships), but it is absolutely possible.

For now, try to focus on what you're accomplishing instead of what you aren't. That's easier said than done, of course, but you mention being in school and doing well, already having a job, moving forward into a career you love, and those are all fantastic things! If you have trouble focusing, there are a few easy things you can do to help ground your thoughts, like light a candle and watch it, take a warm bath, or go for a short walk and listen to the sounds you hear while you're out. These all help focus your senses on a single point, and your thoughts along with them.

Sorry you're feeling isolated from your family as well. Hopefully in time that will change too - for now, keep posting as much as you like. :slight_smile:

8. lgbtmathematics

This might be a bit of stereotypical advice, but It Gets Better Project has a lot of videos about how people overcame struggles with their families or stereotypes of the community they live in.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. megan9

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm so sorry that this is something you have to deal with. You are worthy and important and deserving of love.

Being a lesbian doesn't mean that you won't have a fulfilling and happy relationship. One day, you'll be with a wonderful girl who loves you for who you are, you'll be happy, content, and you'll trust in the strength of yourself and your happiness. So many lesbian couples find happiness for the whole of their lives and you can too. Please don't let what other people say about/to you allow you to believe that you're not going to find love. You will find love and one day you'll look back and realise that you don't feel alone any more.

I hope you feel better soon, we're all here for you

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's wrong. I actually find that same sex couples are longer lasting than many straight ones. 50% of straight marriages end in divorce and many are only together for the kids.

12. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell your Stepdad to go f^^k himself; he's just trying to make sure you're as miserable as he is. You are a wonderful, special, brave person. Ignore all the non-nonsensical morons out there!

13. LeticiaTheLesbo

14. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    as my friend says
    when ever depression strikes
    "cunt it in the bastard"