1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to make gay friends?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jaybird, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Jaybird

Jaybird Guest

As an almost 20 year old, I have started to be more familiar and open with my sexual orientation (openly gay) over the past few years. As such, I am hoping to be feel more included in the gay community, by possibly making some gay friends. As much as I enjoy my straight friends, I feel that it would feel more comforting and less isolated knowing that I have gay people in my life where we can hang out and have fun. Currently, I live in St. Catharines and Peterborough from time to time for schooling. I was wondering what is the best way to make some gay friends? I have tried the online/apps option (which understandably never works). Because of the relatively small places I live at this point, there are not really any places/methods of meeting gay people. I have considered possibly going to a gay bar/club in Toronto, but I was wondering if that ever truly works?? Where do people usually make gay friends and do you have any suggestions in order to help me out with this dilemma? Thanks in advance for your help.

#1 Jaybird, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
  2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know that I really have suggestions. My circumstances were pretty different--big city, LOTS of gay guys. I made friends in all sorts of venues--you can't swing a dead cat here without hitting a gay guy--but I can say that the gay bar/club thing can work. I met many of my closest friends that way. In fact I have friends now some twenty-odd years later that I actually met the first time I went to a gay bar. On a side note I also met my husband (we've been together for eighteen years) in that same gay bar. Just do things where you are going to have fun--and talk to people while you do them.:lol:

3. binaryMoods

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm in a similar situation and I live in Toronto and all my friends are straight. I don't go to gay bars or even the village but lately yea I feel like I need some friends just to talk to and be myself. I mean I went to a bar a couple of times but only because my straight friend wanted me to meet someone lol but I didn't feel comfortable.

Gay bars are frequented by the same people night after night and a lot of them are looking for hookups. As soon as there is a new face it is the centre of attention and it's now a race who can get that new guy first. I personally don't think gay bars or the village is a good place to meet people but of course it's a great place to hang out with friends once you have them unless you are looking for hookups and one night stands. And then you are also a hot gossip topic discussing who you slept with and how it happened, and who f**d who.

I may be exaggerating but I guess I have a pretty good idea of what happens in the village. So for the past a couple of weeks I've been trying to meet people online. It's not easy, it may take time but I'm hopeful there are nice people who see other people as humans first not sexual objects. Btw you can also try meetup.com.

4. TheChainedPegasus

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's an idea I had but I'm too shy to make it happen :

Go wander around in an LGBT shirt, it'll make laugh some, but LGBT people may talk to you.

Dunno if that's that much a great idea tho.