1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothing/fashion: Need a new look.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TanMan, Aug 7, 2016.

1. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone. So I've been here on the forums for a couple weeks, and it has definately helped me understand and cope with the feelings I have. I'm 22, and I've "known" I was gay since I was about 11 or 12. Now I'm fully accepting of the fact that I AM GAY, and overall it has boosted my confidence. I'm a shy guy and can be socially awkward. Also, I'm a big guy (as in I'm fat :lol:slight_smile:. I used to weigh around 350 pounds, and I currently weigh 296 (6 foot, 4 inches). The weight loss is going well, and when someone points out that I like good or different because of the weight loss, my confidence and self esteem just increases dramatically. I have about 100 more pounds to lose.

But anyways, since I have been more accepting of myself (I'm still in the closet) and more confident, it's time for a clothes Change. A normal day when I go to classes, I pretty much wear the SAME THING every day; t-shirt and the same cargo shorts literally every day. I have like 5 pairs of cargo shorts, and because I'm a big guy, normally the same shirts every other couple of days. It's kind of embarrassing going to classes because I wear the same thing.

Any ideas of clothing that I can wear. I am gay, but I'm not "flamboyant gay". I need a new style, as well as new ways to do my hair.

I also want to get my ears pierced. Like black studs. Nothing "too gay" lol.
    And ideas?

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

In terms of clothes, since I don't know what kind of things are a no for you, I'll stick to being general. That is, I don't know if tight shirts make you sweat badly or if there are any clothes you think simply don't go with you.

Firstly, you don't need to have loads of different clothes, just a few of each kind so you can mix-and-match. You say you wear the same t-shirts and cargo shorts each day. That's fine and all you need to do to change it up a bit is to buy a few things to layer with. Wear a short or long sleeved shirt over a t shirt, for example, and change up the combinations to add variety to your wardrobe. Or have a fleece, a hoodie, a sweatshirt to layer with when it's colder.

But if you're not keen on that - living in California, probably so - you could simply try changing the style of the t-shirts you wear or the color. Get a baggier one and see if it suits you, get a white/pale green/cream shirt to wear. Wear cotton collared shirts - roll up the sleeves if they're long sleeved.

These are only ideas and there are some areas (color) that I wouldn't dare get involved in since it's so dependent on culture and personal preference - I enjoy the French style of white and various shades of blue myself.

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with layering. Buy some button shirts (could be long-sleeved or short-sleeved) and wear it over your t-shirts or golf shirts

And coming from a jeans lover, why not wear jeans every now and then? Doesn't have to be long jeans, could be denim shorts. And jeans are very versatile too, depending on the style, cut, colour, etc. You can dress them up or down.

As for hairstyle: What's your current hairstyle? Is your hair long, medium or short? Straight, wavy or curly? Why not try to dye it a funky colour? That in itself can already make a huge difference in your appearance :icon_wink

#3 Ruby Dragon, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016