1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with close minded people?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kaka522, Aug 7, 2016.

1. kaka522

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you guys deal with close minded people that have something mean to say?
    I struggle with it big time

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't....you are dealing with a losing battle ...so why put up the effort? Unfortunately, there are an abundant of closed minded individuals in the world and they are stuck with their convictions. I had a guy whom I hung out with who was very nice but was a very close minded individual especially when it came to gay people. This caused a huge problem within our relationship and his closed minded opinions made me so uncomfortable that although I would meet him out for dinner or lunch, however, I did not feel comfortable with him in my home. One afternoon while we were having lunch, there were a group of guys who walked in the restaurant and waited to be seated. It was apparent that they were gay and he had such a big issue with them and was quite annoyed and kept making negative comments about them to me. Since I was moving really soon after, I made the decision to not give him my contact information or address because I just felt it would be better for me to cut all ties with him completely and wish him the best.

3. mangotree

Yeah, most people who use their voice/words to hurt are looking for some kind of reaction. A strong reaction is sort of a prize for them.
    If you don't react in any way (positive or negative), they'll generally get bored and leave you alone.

It depends on the when/where though obviously. And the situation.
    e.g. You can't very well 'not react' if someone punches you in the nose.

4. RainbowsFactory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just give them a death stare, correct what they've just said and walk away in the "gayest" way I can!

5. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually just act sarcastic, but it also depends on my mood. On a bad day, I just ignore them.

6. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to ignore them, if that doesn't work and I'm feeling brave or really angry or annoyed I would correct them .

7. Glowing Eyes

I laugh at them 'cause it lets me criticize them and have fun doing it. Why get angry when the person you're talking to has no idea what they're talking about. It's a perfect chance to get a good laugh.

8. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ignore or sarcasm if a response is warranted. Correcting will fore ignorance is about as productive as banging your head against a wall. A 20 page dissertation with sources sighted and listed, will not make someone admit they are wrong when they only care about their belief in something.

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In person where I live, I say nothing out of fear of physical retaliation.

Online or by phone, I will show them why they are wrong and throw a little humor in, if they fail to understand then they aren't likely worth my time.

Not the most clever, but this one was pretty funny, though they didn't get the joke:
    "Satan's gonna torcha ya forevea ya sawdumite! He knows all 'bout ya homasectual lifestyle choices!"
    Reply...
    "I've checked the list twice, Santa himself definitely believes you've been naughty. No gifts for you. Next time repent with better cookies."

10. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Either:

a) keep asking them why they think a certain way until they look like the tool they are by having to explain their stupid/offensive opinion

or

b) ignore them

#10 lnamae, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  11. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't react. They want a reaction so that they can get some happiness in their miserable lives. They're probably doing it because they have been hurt in the same manner in the past and want to pass it on so that they don't feel like the victim.

12. Enjel

Enjel Guest

I usually steer clear of them once I start seeing the signs; but if it feels like they're unavoidable, I take a deep breath and be as positive as possible about the situation. I make an attempt to over-exert the negative event with positivity. The more attention into good energy, the more good; the more attention into bad energy, the more bad. I honestly hope this all helps.