1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fundraising For A Friend- Would Like Some Advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by iiimee, Aug 11, 2016.

1. iiimee

BEFORE YOU BEAUTIFUL MODS RAID THIS THREAD, PLEASE REMEMBER I WILL NOT BE LINKING THE GOFUNDME PAGE HERE OR REVEALING THE NAME OF IT. I AM LOOKING ONLY FOR ADVICE ON IDEAS FOR FUNDRAISING, AND PERHAPS JUST SOME GENERAL ADVICE ON HOW I CAN SUPPORT MY FRIEND. That being said, this is the story:

So, I've been friends with this guy for a long time. We've ONLY been internet friends but have Skyped (but in secret only) and messaged each other for somewhere between 1-2 years now? It's been a pretty long time and might even be over two years- I can't remember when we first met, though I do remember we initially met on an online support group forum for transgender individuals- not this one. Anyway, it was really nice and he was always the sweetest person I ever met, though he's not too much of an angel where he won't make dirty jokes or speak his mind. XD Anyway, he'll probably be in need of cash for living and education once he graduates his home-school high school due to the fact he wants to be away from his transphobic family as soon as possible, which was I suggested I start this fundraiser. His family is HORRIBLE to him- I thought his mother was okay even if the grandparents he lives with weren't, but just recently she got drunk and basically called him a mistake. :frowning2: Anyway, the fundraiser is a gofundme AND I am actually fundraising because I plan to sell polymer bead jewelry- and this is where I need help.

I have a system set up for how I am planning on selling the jewelry, but if anyone could help me figure out the imperfections of my plans that'd be great. I'd also like to learn how to maybe sell custom jewelry at a cheap price too, so any advice would be great. I'm selling everything in bundles so the costs will already be significantly cheaper:
    Pre-Making:
    Cane shall be cut up before use and the price of the cane shall be split up between the price of the beads. So basically-
    Cane price divided by each bead = price of each bead.
    If the cane was bought in bundles then divide the price of the canes you got between the individual canes before doing the step above.
    The price of the wooden beads shall be decided in the same manner as the polymer beads, aka-
    Cost of bag of wooden beards divided by each bead = price of each bead
    The rule of multiple canes obviously does not apply to bags of wooden beads.
    PRICE PER NECKLACE:
    Equation Part 1:
    Price of a polymer bead + price of a wooden bead x beads needed
    Beads needed x 3
    Take 75% of your current price and divide it among pieces with more beads, (such as fully covered necklaces) then take the remaining price and divide it among pieces with less beads (like small bracelets and chokers).
    Equation Part 2:
    Quarter of wax paper’s cost per piece of wax paper used divided by all pieces made.
    Quarter of the liquid polymer clay’s price divided by all pieces made.
    Quarter of thread’s price divided by all pieces made.
    Add all three prices together
    Equation Part 3:
    Add the total of Equation 1 to Equation 2
    (optional) If you’re going to sell the product online, add the shipping fee to the price as well as the percentage you’re giving to the online store so you don’t lose any money.

Obviously prices will vary for products due to how many options there are, but so far I don't see many issues with my plan. Still, I wish I could find a cheaper way to sell things, but it just doesn't seem possible. :/ As I said, they're being sold in bundles- X_X The prices would be horrid if I sold them individually, which is why I'm a little worried about making custom ones, but I know someone might eventually ask I make custom ones... Any ideas or comments? All ideas are welcome, INCLUDING ideas for other things I can do to raise money. I have a little over two years to fund-raise for this stuff technically, so it's not like I'm in a major rush, but considering it can take a lot of money to live on your own for even a few months, I don't want to waste anymore time.