1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT(ish) Tattoo LGBT Artist?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ptri, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Ptri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious what those with more experience with Tattoos think about the "need" to find an LGBT Tattoo Artist when getting/designing an LGBT(ish) themed Tattoo?

To expand a bit, I have recently been entertaining the thought of getting my first tattoo after a major emotional "thing". Part of which involved being hit really hard (tears, sobbing, "break down", etc) by a concert performed by the Twin Cities Gay Men's Chorus.

I want to get a tattoo based on the lyric "Make More Than Dust" (basically, the saying goes "from dust we came and to dust we will return". TCGMC sings something along the lines of "While we are here we should make more than dust of our lives".)

My concern is that while I am out (partnered/married for 18 years, out at work, etc) I generally "don't bother" to come out when it isn't necessary. So I don't really NEED to explain that the song was sung by a Gay Men's Chorus because the message isn't really LGBT exclusive. On the other hand would I get a better design if they know more of the basis?

I guess I'm also a little worried that a really homophobic artist could mess it up in some way that I wouldn't know any better about (especially since this would be my first).

Am I being paranoid? Thoughts? Thanks for the advice!

2. yuanzi

Ptri, I was not going to reply because I have absolutely no experience with tattoos but then I saw you are from Pittsburgh :slight_smile: I lived there for 2 years and many lgbt folks I met have tattoos. Maybe you can ask around and get opinions from your lgbt friends? I know a girl who got a huge tattoo from a place called kyklops (she is openly gay if that matters).

On the other hand I am assuming most tattoo artists should be very open-minded. Like how can they not be... anyway good luck if you decide to get one!

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of the artists my sister got some ink from was openly gay. And was a little too enthusiastic about showing customers his Prince Albert if they inquired about genital piercings. Dude knew his stuff, but it was hard to keep a straight face while he is swearing like a gangster with the stereotype gay lisp.

The best way to find an artist to do your ink, is ask people with tats where they got them done. You'll get the most honest answers that way.

4. lovetoomuch

This may not be helpful to you at all, but it can possibly help - so I'll type it anyways.

I recently (actually only 10 days ago) got my first tattoo and it was the equality sign on my chest. Hence, it was a tattoo signifying equal rights for LGBTQ+ as well as having more personal meaning to me.

I got my tattoo done overseas in England (I'm from the NYC area of the United States). Since I got it done overseas, this is why I said it may not be helpful.

Anyways, I did not mention the meaning of the tattoo to the tattoo artist and he never asked. It ended up coming out awesome. I have received so many compliments on it and most importantly, I love it.

As long as you go to a reputable tattoo artist, they should be able to give you the tattoo you want. Good luck!

5. LeticiaTheLesbo

Wish I could help ya with this, but at 15 years of age I am no tatoo expert. Just wanted to say I really like the idea for your tat! Love that saying, "Make more than dust" Really inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

6. Ptri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks all for the advice all. I've got lots a gay friends with Tattoos so I'll probably ask around.

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have 3 tattoos, and many more planned :grin:

My first tattoo is the Chinese symbol for "dragon" - I didn't need to tell my artist why I chose that particular one (I was born in the Year of the Dragon according to Chinese astrology), and they never asked.

My second tattoo is of a horse galloping. Again, I didn't need to tell my artist why I chose it, and they never asked.

My third tattoo is a faith, hope, love tattoo design and again, no questions asked and no need to explain why I chose that design.

What I'm trying to say here is, if you don't WANT to explain your tattoo design then you don't need to. All three my tattoos came out great. Tattoo artists are professional, and if they're worthy of the title, they will not mess up your design over something so trivial as the meaning behind that design. Just remember, their reputation is on the line. So again, if they're worthy of their salt, they will do it properly. Don't just go to the first person with a tattoo shop, ask around and do your research about who is the best. And remember, cheap tattoos often look cheap, so rather save up some more cash so that you can afford something of quality, than settle for a cheapie because you're low on dough :icon_wink

My first tattoo cost me R200 back in 2007 (2x2cm, ankle, black ink only). Second one, in 2010, cost R500 (Not sure about the measurements, it's on my left shoulder blade, black ink only). Third one, 2015, cost R950 (6x7cm, right forearm, black outline, red, green and white). It all depends on how complex the design is, the size, colours used, time it would take to complete, etc.

8. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! Well I'm a tattoo artist and I can tell you that if you scope out a good tattooer with a portfolio that impresses you that's firstly the most important thing you should be looking for. When I speak to my clients I ask right away exactly what they have in mind, their ideas, placement and lastly we discuss cost. An artists may or may not question you casually at some point why you're getting I during the tattoo but I doubt it. It's generally not brought up unless the client brings it up. And these days you'll be hard pressed to find a homophobic tattooer with a good reputation because generally tattooers are the least judgemental people you can meet.

Hope that helps!