1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stop thinking...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lifeguard1, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Lifeguard1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How to stop thinking about my sexuality? Almost each day, before going to bed, I question myself. I ask myself why I might like girls. I think about the reaction of the people around me and it scares me. I feel like I'm going through a battle against myself that my parents and friends could not understand.
    I've come to a point where I know I can't ignore my feelings, but how can I deal with them? If I watch a movie and there's a lesbian couple, that's the only thing I'll remember of the day. Same thing happens when I see a lesbian across the street.
    I wish I could stop my "gay" concerns once in a while.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets. :slight_smile:

Wondering, have you tried writing all of your thoughts out before bedtime? The act of writing your thoughts out, no matter in which order they appear, and then closing the note book afterwards, without re-reading what you have written could help to feel calmer about it all.

Often times, the more we fight against our thoughts, the more we wish they were not there, the larger they will become. Thus, another thing you could try is to shift your thoughts after you have acknowledged them. When you get the thoughts about your sexuality, what the reaction of others could be, try to acknowledge them by saying out loud, 'ah, there they are' but don't stop doing what you were doing. Continue getting ready for bed, maybe try reading a bit which would allow you to start shifting your thoughts. It might take a bit of time before your thoughts will calm down a bit, but it might be worth a try.

3. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you ever seen Orange is the New Black?
    There are a lot of LGBT characters on that show but there are also a ton of interesting deep plot lines on it that can probably help to distract you from your worries.