1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently I had less time than I thought.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Simple Thoughts, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Simple Thoughts

So...

After being a whopping 12 days late on rent we got a lovely piece of paper saying we have 5 days to pay up or get out.

I feel kinda sick right now...like I don't even know what to do at this point. I won't get paid for another week and I do not have the money to pay the rent right now. I get that we're running behind and everything, but I thought we'd have more time to get everything sorted out. I guess that just isn't the case.

Well cheers to homelessness!

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you sure that's legal? There are explicit requirements in landlord/tenant laws that say how much time a renter has before they can be kicked out with support of the cops. And I don't think "17 days" is super fair.

3. Simple Thoughts

I have no idea what the laws are in this state.

I just know I have a paper telling me I've got five days to pay up or get out. This is such crap man...I'm not even sure what to make of it. My only real option that I can think of right now is to swallow what little pride and self respect I have and call my dad, but I dunno if he'd even help or not. I may just end up wasting my time in that regard.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In most states, a landlord can issue a 3 day notice (in California, it's called '3 days to pay rent or quit', referring to 'quitting' the premises.) So yes, it is legal.

That said, many landlords are fairly reasonable if you communicate with them. If it is likely to be an ongoing problem, then you will want to look at moving, but if it is temporary, and you have good reason and explain, your landlord will likely work with you. But if you are silent and don't pay, the landlord probably assumes you aren't able to pay or plan to skip out. But if you can realistically pay the full balance with your next check and catch up so you will be current each month once you get caught up... There's a good chance you can make it work.

5. Simple Thoughts

Yeah I talked to my dad.

I'm hoping he'll come through. So far it seems like he will. If he does I'll be alright. If not I'm in a bit of trouble. I mean I could get this month's paid a few days past when that notice is up, but after that I'd just be behind again. I'm really hoping that he'll do this for me cause I'd be able to get caught back up.

6. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy crap, that's bullshit... Here you have to be 3 months behind before they can do that