1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kitten

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AlexGreen242, Aug 19, 2016.

1. AlexGreen242

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, so about a week ago I got a kitten and I honestly think I made a mistake? I love him and I want to keep him so much but I don't think that I can. I financially can't get him shots and neutered and I wouldn't be able to take him the vet if I needed too. I also love with my mom still and I leave him out of my room at night because he's too loud for me to sleep and she claims I'm making my kitten her responsibility. I made a spur of the moment choice and I don't think I clearly thought it through. So now what are my options?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where did you get the kitten from? Most reputable breeders or placement agencies will take an animal back, particularly if it has only been a week. From what you describe, it does sound like this is probably the best choice, both for you and for the animal, at this stage.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Either take the kitten back and admit you just can not care for the animal correctly. Or start asking friends if they want a kitten and have the means to take care of it.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't your mom accept the kitten and share responsibility as a compromise? A noisy kitten will eventually settle down and may be a great thing you can share?

5. yuanzi

OP, the best thing you can do right now is to surrender your kitten to a local no-kill shelter. The no-kill shelter I volunteer for takes in all surrendered animals as long as it is local (they will even give you the money back if the animal was adopted from the shelter and returned within a short period of time).

I am aware that many cities do not have no-kill shelters though. If that is the case then you have to try your best to find the kitten a good home. You got the kitten so he is now your responsibility.

The worst thing you can do is to pretend you can take care of the kitten while not actually taking care of it. It sounds like your kitten is still young and healthy so he might have a high chance of getting adopted in a shelter. However, without immunization pets can contract all sorts of diseases and by then he would probably be euthanized if you decide to surrender him to a shelter.

#5 yuanzi, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  6. beckling

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    think about rehoming him or taking him to a no-kill. not being able to get him neutered will cause him to spray everywhere and increase his risks of cancer, so it would just be better to rehome him or something.