1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I do this?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I've talked about my social anxiety before but I have it really bad. There's this kid in my year who's really nice to me but I've always been so awkward, we've barely talked at all and it seems like I'm ignoring them. I wanted to apologise and explain my social anxiety but I wouldn't be able to do that face-to-face, we don't have classes together until Friday and I want to do it well before then. There wouldn't be enough time and they have too many friends that would interrupt and make it awkward. I was thinking of just writing a letter and handing it to them or leaving it on their schoolbag. I really don't want them to think that I hate them. But I'm kind of afraid, because what if it wasn't needed afterall and it's a total overreaction? What if they think it's funny or something? They've only laughed at me for silly mistakes before, stuff that I should've found funny but was too embarrassed to laugh about. I think it was more "laughing with me." Really, I haven't spoken much to them at all in 1 and a half years and they've tried hard to get my attention :/ Would it be creepy to just randomly leave a letter though? I feel freaked about going up and randomly handing them something too…I don't have to do anything but that'd probably make matters worse…

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think if you're as awkward as you say you are, then they may have already picked up on that and know you're not purposefully ignoring them.

However, if you want to say something, I'd recommend just doing something simple. Like write a very brief note on a sticky note. A letter seems too.....formal(?) to me. And if they've been nice to you so far, I doubt they'd be rude you to over a note.

#2 HM03, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they've already tried to get your attention, I'm sure they would be happy to talk to you or receive word via a note.

Maybe you could sit with them at lunch and strike up a conversation? I wouldn't worry too much about being awkward, and as HMO3 said, they may have already noticed that and it doesn't bother them (otherwise they wouldn't be so interested in you).

Something I keep in mind when approaching people is that oftener than not, people want you to succeed. They want to see what you have to say and usually are routing for you. The person in question, I'm sure, has no ill will to you and would likely find your coming to talk to them endearing.

Ultimately, trying is better than doing nothing, because "you know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it" (Ben, We Bought A Zoo).

#3 Kodo, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016