1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Episode after 1.5 years?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was 7-14, I used to get bad hallucinations. I was very stressed out and depressed and after talking with my counselor, I think it was probably psychosis. I used to hear talking, breathing, singing, people calling me, footsteps. I used to feel people touching me and I'd see people, animals, creatures, all kinds of things. I could also sense presences in the room but there was no one there. My mom gets the same thing and has for as long as I can remember. I've (nearly) always known that it wasn't real but that doesn't mean it's not terrifying. Then it just stopped one day and I was incredibly grateful.

I don't know why it's started again tonight. I am really stressed out from school and I've been depressed but I didn't think that I was that bad. The problem is that the older I get, the more realistic the hallucinations become. Like when I was younger, it was lizards in the house or some creature looking through the window but now it's extra horrifying. The walls are moving like squeezing in and then stopping. I thought I saw my cats in the house twice now but they're outside with no way of getting inside on their own. I thought that I saw myself in the mirror but I wasn't standing in front of it so that was impossible. I've been seeing people out of the corner of my eye for probably 10 minutes and I'm too scared to move. I know it's not real but a small part of me still believes that it could be.

I don't know how long this is supposed to last for :icon_sad: my mom told me to go to sleep but it's hard because I feel like a bunch of people are watching me. I don't understand why this would start again after I was cured. I don't want it to start again, what am I supposed to do?

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The key is probably your mother. Maybe it is inherited condition if she has experienced the same sort of thing? And she should support you in getting some help.

The mind is an amazing thing. It could be caused by anxiety and you might get some easy relief by adopting some relaxation techniques, maybe coupled with some suitable medication.

But, as you are 15, this is all something you sort of need to negotiate via your mother as a doctor will probably not see you alone, depending on the rules where you live .. in Wonderland.

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What makes you think you were "cured" Spot? You told us that you discussed it with your counsellor and decided it was probably psychosis. You went on to say that it just stopped one day and you was incredibly grateful. I'm afraid this doesn't amount to a cure. It's awful for you that it's returned, but I would stop short of thinking that it was cured.

I would also urge you to obtain a proper diagnosis and support, before it escalates and seems out of control.

4. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't mean literally one day, it was a random day like any other in 2015, I don't know which one. It stopped and didn't come back until last week (1.5 years roughly). I was a lot happier back then but this year has been awful, especially the last few months. I think that's why it came back. My mom also gets it, I'm assuming it's stress from her anxiety disorder. This psychologist I talked to said that psychosis can come from anxiety and depression and she asked me questions, wrote what I said down but I never found out if I was actually experiencing psychosis or not. I haven't had any hallucinations since last week but I'm feeling a bit paranoid. I will try to bring it up the next time I see my counselor.

5. faustian1

I agree that you should be evaluated by another professional. Perhaps a psychiatrist or a medical doctor. You symptoms could indicate the need for medication which, if appropriate, would control your symptoms. If you don't have any other psychological professional to talk to, could you bring this issue to your family doctor for a referral?