1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New college and lonely

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kafei, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I transferred to a new college this semester to be closer to home, and I'm starting to regret it. I'm living alone in an apartment and am even lonelier than I was before. My new college is bigger and because of that it's harder to make friends.

On top of this, the LGBTQ+ organization hasn't had any events yet and hasn't even updated their website for this year yet.

Anyone have tips on how to make friends as a queer transfer student, or just wanna chat?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple thoughts:

If living in an apartment has you feeling a bit isolated, maybe it would help to switch back into the dorms. As counter-intuitive as this sounds, it's a super easy way to meet people - just leave your door open (when you're in your room that is!). :slight_smile: I don't know if this is an option just this moment, if you've signed a lease and all, but if your apartment caters to students in particular then perhaps they have something set up for this kind of situation.

Also, if the LGBT group hasn't started yet but you'd still like to get involved, try emailing the people who lead it - maybe they're in need of someone to help get things started.

Finally, don't underestimate classes - as cheesy as it may sound, they are also a great way to meet friends. Study with someone, chat with people who sit next to you, invite anybody in particular out to coffee or whatever after class. :slight_smile:

In any case, hang in there, and be patient with yourself. Starting college at all can be tough, and is often a lonely time for people, and transferring no less. But you'll get the hang of the place!