1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vent - I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Althidon, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Althidon

My family is living in my father in law's house. He moved out to live with his new girlfriend but left all of his things in one of the bedrooms, the attic, the basement, and the laundry room. By all of his things I mean these rooms are so full you can barely walk through them. The house is on the verge of falling apart. The kitchen sink is rusted through, there are soft spots on the kitchen floor, the porch is nailed together with plywood...I could go on, but I won't. Long story short, it's not in a condition where he could rent it to anyone else, or sell it for anything near market value for a home in this neighborhood.

We started out paying him $200 "when we could manage it". Then he wanted $200-$300 every month. He showed up this morning and told us he wants $500 a month now. I told him for $500 we could live somewhere else, somewhere that's not broken.

He told us to tell him when we're leaving.

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I don't know what to do.

2. blightedsight

This is the trouble with renting from family.
    You should get some sort of rental agreement in place. If he's insisting you pay a fair rent, you insist on him removing his stuff and sorting out the problems with the house.

What is your father in laws relationship to the family member that you're both linked to, and are they able to sort this out with him?