1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Art Project

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rainbows~Exist, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Rainbows~Exist

Wow it's been a long time since I posted... :confused:

Okay so basically for my second year art project for A-Level Fine Art I have decided to explore the theme of "Gender in the Modern World" which explores societies perceptions on gender, how gender identity and expression has changed and become more inclusive over the years and a myriad of topics concerning Transgender issues.

Herein lays my problem:

For a good portfolio you need a significant amount of first hand imagery and sources to work from. I know a number of trans individuals (acquaintances really) and for part of my project I want to interview them and hopefully have them sit for portraits or photographs that I will be able to produce work from in the future. I'm just worried about coming across as ignorant or potentially offensive or insensitive when approaching anyone or during said interviews and such...

What should I not say? How do I ask someone to aid me in my project?

Thank you (*hug*)

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why don't you just lay out a clear determination of your project (what you are doing, why you are doing it, how you are going about doing it, and how it is going to be presented/who is going to see it) - on paper, first, if that helps you order your thoughts? Then contact each person individually (in-person might be better for this so that they can see you and better evaluate for themselves your real interest in this project and your trustworthiness), explain your project as you have laid it out for yourself and ask them if they'd be willing to participate/help you.

Just a thought.

Good Luck!:slight_smile:

#2 Quantumreality, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. Rainbows~Exist

Yeah I probably need to refine my project. It's a bit hectic at the moment :lol:

Thanks for the advice! :slight_smile:

4. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm I don't think that should offend anyone. I'm also doing art at school, so if you want to talk about arty farty stuff then hit me up. Also there is a really good forum called WetCanvas that has a massive archive of reference photos. just an idea, maybe you could try asking trans people on here if you can use any of their photos? It sounds like an awesome topic! :slight_smile: