1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been a while...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AfraidandAlone, Sep 6, 2016.

1. AfraidandAlone

Well first off sorry its been so long I've had a lot going on in my life... a lot not so good and well maybe a little bit of good hopefully... on Saturday I went to the hospital because my depression and anxiety are getting way out of control. I ended up talking to a psychiatrist there and now I have to make an appointment to see a therapist. While my conversation with the psychiatrist went very well and when he asked me about my sexual orientation I was able to be honest about my gender identity which kind of surprised me how easy it was. I don't have an appointment yet (have to phone tomorrow and set it up) I'm very nervous about talking about my gender identity. I know I need the help desperately was just wondering what people with similar experiences did to make it easier or not as stressful.

2. binaryMoods

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    They are professionals so nothing to be nervous about. You are nervous of what you think the other person will think of you. They deal with all sort of people every day so you are just one of the patients but because it's a huge deal for us we tend to be nervous and anxious about it. The same way when people go to a job interview. Just remember (1) they will never judge you (2) everything you say is strictly confidential (3) they are trying to help you, so they are the ones around whom you should be least nervous.

3. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi: I'm glad you went for help when your depression and anxiety were getting bad. I think if the psychiatrist asked you about your orientation and then recommended the therapist that it's likely that it will be someone who is open and knowledgeable about these things. I went to a therapist for other reasons but it turned out she was a lesbian so when I wanted to talk about sexuality etc. it was easy - there are lots of people who are trained in these things.

Good luck.

:slight_smile:

4. AfraidandAlone

Well I'm not actually seeing a therapist. I was told about a class about managing stress, anxiety and depression. Have only went once but I think it may help.