1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help breaking this funk

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Guff, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Guff

The last month or so has been the saddest month of my life. I won't say "worst", just sad.
    Things I've use to enjoy seem to be more like chores and I'm always just down about things.
    Today in literature I had a mini project, you write "This tale is true, and mine" and then write about your life story. I wrote one totally honestly, it had many secrets in it about my life. I read it, it seemed to really have everything on point. Then I destroyed it and wrote a paper edited to match the lies I always tell everyone. I don't consider myself overly emotional, but I strangely let out a tear as I watched myself once again take the truth, destroy it and replaced it with some "nicer" garbage.
    It was probably the lone saddest moment of my life.

Any advice on breaking outta this loop? Anyone got any similar stories to mine?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Guff,

Is there anything you like to do that cheers you up or takes your mind off things?

I think you told me you are a runner. Does running help? I usually use running to help me get my thoughts in order to solve problems I'm having, but sometimes, I just kinda go mindless and lose myself in the run.

What about reading or a favorite movie or a video game you like? Do you think a distraction along those lines might get you out of your funk long enough to 'break the loop?'

And it may not help, but I was in the closet for 50 years of my life, the last half because of my career. So I definitely had major down days about it.

Take care.:slight_smile:

#2 Quantumreality, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  3. Guff

Woah I'm literally about to step outside to take a jog in hopes of clearing my mind, and I quickly check this to see a go for a run recommendation. LOL It's gotta be a sign....

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Humor usually picks me up, too. And I have a pretty broad sense of humor, but I especially like corny humor (no pun intended given the story I’m about to tell) and word-play. I don’t know if this fits your sense of humor, but talking about running reminded me of a humorous (at least to me) story:

So while I stationed in Germany one time, I used to go running with my boss several days a week on trails in the local woods. And we’d talk while we ran. One day, he wanted to tell me a classified military story, so we stopped running. The trail we were on at that point literally ran between two corn fields and where we stopped was out in the open, right between the corn fields. I just started looking around everywhere kinda suspiciously. My boss had started to tell his story but when he noticed what I was doing, looked at me and said “What?!?” very sharply. I said, “But, sir, the corn … has ears.” He gave me a nonplussed glare and said “Lieutenant, do you want to hear the story or not?” I said, “Uh, yes, sir” and shut up.:lol:

5. Guff

LOL That corn though.

Once while I was running I ran by this African American dude on a lawnmower. As I ran by, my clumsy self tripped LOL I got up and he stopped cutting his yard because he was laughing to much at me. XD I waved and said thanks for the help and he said anytime white boy, then I continued on.
    A few days later I ran by that same man and as I went by he yelled out have a nice trip white boy. LOL Probably not to funny to read, but it strangely made my day when he said.

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL, Guff! That IS funny, too. I like situational humor like that, as well.

Sounds like you might be coming out of your 'funk loop' for at least a little while. If so, that's great!

Since we've started trading humorous stories, I can tell you another one, but it isn't about running.

During one of the final days of some military training I was doing, one of my unit members (call him 'D') was standing behind me in the chow line with a big-a** grin on his face. Now D was always getting into mischief during the training and the Drill Sergeants were constantly dropping him to do pushups - in fact, I swear he did more pushups than actual training... So, back to the story itself. As one of our Drill Sergeants walked by us standing in the chow line, he noticed the big grin on D's face. He called D out of the chow line and demanded "What?!?" D, still grinning, just said "My girlfriend's coming and I'm gonna get laid, Drill Sergeant!" The Drill Sergeant looked at him skeptically, slowly looked him over from head to toe, then shook his head and said "No one would have you!" ... "Drop!" (So D dropped for pushups.) The rest of us in line were biting our lips to keep from laughing out loud.

Take Care. Stay strong and proud, my friend!:slight_smile:

#6 Quantumreality, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. faustian1

Yesterday, I was tempted to write and suggest that you force yourself to do something like this, to jump start things. This often helps when we're depressed.

But you were way ahead of me. And, it appears to have begun to work.

When I was clinically depressed, which lasted quite awhile, it took the greatest motivation for me to literally force myself to do something. Even working around the house, but usually some kind of exercise or just get out and do something, usually alone. It would pick my energy up.

That breaks the loop, temporarily. Now I wonder, is your depression almost totally situational? Is there evidence that when you remove that external stress (having to keep secrets, for example), does the depression remit? Many people have clinical depression, and they don't really know why they are depressed. Others, such as myself when I was depressed, knew exactly why and just couldn't figure out a way to change it. It appears this latter situation is what affects you.

8. Guff

Well good for D, his lady came to see him. LOL Seems like everyone knows "that one guy" who can't help but get himself in dumb humorous trouble

Because I'd hate to have the humor story ratio be off at 1-2 I'll just throw in this off moment I had.
    I was at a gathering with lots of people I knew and their families, I was talking to a friend when she asked where something was. I clumsily pointed where she'd need to go without realizing a lil boy who was walking by holding a plate of pizza, my hand hit the plate causing him to drop it and I somewhat smacked him in the face LOL I quickly bent over to pick up the mess I made accidentally touching a pile of sauce on the plate getting pizza sauce all over my arm XD I knew virtually everyone in the room and they were all trying not to laugh. Except the girl I was helping, she proceeded to laugh mercilessly in my face. LOL

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2016 at 12:02 PM ----------

When you were depressed did you see any kind of therapist? My family has offered to let me see one for various reasons. I've considered trying it but I just don't see the point. Today was "supposed" to be a good day, I've anticipated it for a long time now. I had plans, but I sadly can't do them because a lot of my family is sick so I gotta stay and help out. Probably the biggest disappointment I've had in awhile LOL

@Quantumreality I just wanna say Thank you. Because you've read several posts of mine and attempt to help me, it means a lot that there's someone who actually cared enough to read not 1 but several of my long posts.

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Guff,

You’re entirely welcome! I’m happy to support you any way I can – even if it is just mostly moral support.

I really liked your story. (I love slapstick humor, too.) I’ve been in similar situations. Naturally, I prefer to have people laughing WITH me rather than AT me (as I’m sure you do), but I don’t usually take myself so seriously that I can’t laugh at myself when I do things like that, too. Good for you!

I’m really sorry that you’re feeling down again with the letdown of not being able to carry out your plans for the day!

I’ll tell you one more humorous story that your story reminded me of. But don’t feel obligated to tell a return story … especially if this isn’t really helping out of your funk.

So, I was on a training exercise with a squad (usually 9-10 Soldiers) of other Cadets (so we were all of equal rank, so to speak) and I was designated the Squad Leader. We had to cross a river (a real one, not a piddly little stream) using a one-rope bridge. The idea was that one person would swim across to the opposite bank with a light rope, then pull one end of a heavy rope across and tie it off on a tree on the opposite of the river. With the other end of the heavy rope tied off on a tree on the starting bank of the river, that created the one-rope bridge that the rest of the squad would then use to shimmy across the river without getting soaked. Being the Squad Leader, I swam across and set up the one-rope bridge on the opposite bank. We then conducted a patrolling exercise and were told to return across the river the way we had come. Of course, we had to dismantle and recover our one-rope bridge, so after the rest of the squad shimmied back to the original bank of the river, I untied the heavy rope from the tree and tied it around myself as a safety line for when I swam back. The rest of my squad had another idea, though. I had no sooner started to swim back when they started PULLING me back across. They literally drug me across the whole damn river – with me underwater most of the time. When I got to the other bank and was able to catch my breath and stop sputtering, I opened my mouth to start chewing them out for almost drowning me and then I saw that they were all rolling on the ground laughing their a**es off! So, I got over my ‘mad’ in about 10 seconds and started laughing along with them. When everyone had calmed down, I mock-chewed them out then said (without really thinking before I spoke) “I mean, what if I HAD drowned? Maybe then you’d listen to me when I told you why that was such a stupid stunt to pull.” I got a couple moments of silence from them, then they all started laughing uncontrollably again.

Take care.:slight_smile:

#9 Quantumreality, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  10. Guff

I know most people feel down about getting laughed at, but it strangely creates my favorite memories XD
    Like once at a party I was talking to a group, we're all somewhat walking as we speak. Everyone is looking at me because I'm actively talking when I fall on my back tripping over a stick LOL
    I'm very clumsy, I fall everywhere I've decided to just take it as fun. Because what's more fun than making everyone laugh LOL

If you don't mind me asking, Were you in the military? Your stories just seem to imply you were

11. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind you asking. Anyone can ask pretty much anything on this site. Now getting answers... LOL! Just kidding. Yes, I was in the military for over two decades, so a lot of my best stories are from those times. But that is also what I was referring to when I told you that I had stayed firmly in the closet for 50 years.

In reference to your story, yeah, I can be like that sometimes, too. Where you just get so focused on something (like what you're talking about) and you just lose track of the real world around you for the moment it takes to suddenly find yourself tripping over something or running into something or...

You didn't say if continuing to exchange stories is doing you any good. I always enjoy it, but I don't want to impose.

Take Care.:slight_smile: