1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expression, Therapists, and Hormones

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by yenica, Sep 7, 2016.

1. yenica

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi!

I recently came out to my mom (yesterday) and we are looking far and wide into finding a therapist. We're not sure how to look for a good therapist, other than calling and asking... something. And reviews from somewhere I guess?

Also, I want to express myself but I'm in school and I don't feel ready to do anything drastic in public yet. She suggested wearing the clothes I want at home and possibly the clothes I want that nobody would see, if it makes me feel better, in public. She also suggested more neutral outside clothes in public, though the clothes I generally wear are really pretty neutral. Honestly I would love to wear female clothes even only at home, but would my non-female parts be a problem for that?

Finally, I'm sure I want hormone replacement, and at some point reassignment. I'm not sure of laws or regulations or anything. Google isn't yielding anything. I read somewhere that it varies on the doctor, needing a therapist diagnosis or some number of therapist appointments. I read somewhere else that blockers are allowed at 12, while the estrogen is allowed at 16, and reassignment surgery at 18? I'm already most of the way through puberty, but preventing any further masculinization I definitely would want, as well as beginning feminization. Is a normal pediatrician able to prescribe them? How long would the effects take to materialize? When would it become noticeable? I don't think I can tell my dad for a while... He's not nearly as open as my mom is. But regardless of his opinions, I need this.

P.S. The presence of this site has made my life better than I could imagine, and I thank it and its users for all the support. As well as you, person reading this, for entering and somehow finding your way out of my typing.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

As far as finding therapists and other medical support, you can try looking on RAD Remedy - it's a database of all sorts of medical professionals that are trans-friendly. You can find it listed also in our post on trans resources - you might want to take a look there if you haven't already, as there are a lot of other listings there that could also be of help. :slight_smile:

You might also contact a local LGBT community center, PFLAG chapter, or other such thing - they will often maintain lists of LGBT-friendly resources, medical an otherwise, in an area.

Best of luck!