1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoping to start college soon. Any advice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Creativemind, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, so I'm 26 years old and never got to go to college due to money management and issues with mental illness (that I have now worked out).

Right now I'm taking GED classes since I was homeschooled and never an official high school graduate.

Questions:

1. Am I too old to start college/try for my GED?

2. What is college like? What was it like for you? Because of money issues, I may have to start at a junior college, so I don't know if dorming is possible.

3. What should I do? I've always wanted to be a writer but I don't know if there are any writing majors/degrees available. At least my friend told me there weren't. If there aren't, is there anything else interesting?

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. No
    2. It's different for everyone. I was working full time during college so it took me 10 years to get through college. I only took 2 classes per semester (which also helps with the money part.)
    3. No one can tell you what to study. You may already know the things you're interested in by now. My best advice is to try to match a field of study with your favorite hobby or something you find really interesting. It would help a lot if leads to a career path.

3. yuanzi

1. Agreeing with Imgay47. You are never too old. Yes you will be 5+ years older than the typical college freshmen but who cares.

2. I only did/am still doing grad school in the US. I have always lived off campus with housemates but we all have our own bedrooms. I have a good friend who started her undergraduate in her late 20s and she did complain about dorming with teenagers because of their different levels of maturity. Unfortunately there is not much you can do if you have to live in a dorm since roommates are typically assigned to you.

3. I am in the STEM field and am far from a writer myself. But my uni does have a creative writing program in the department of English. One type of college major/degree usually covers many different sub-fields. I have heard that first-year college students usually pick a general field (e.g. engineering, social science, arts etc) and get to choose a more specific direction later on.

4. killswitch0029

1. Nope. Went to college with a 67 year old.

2. College was a pretty great experience. I commuted from home so I never got the ideal "college experience" but I still managed to meet some pretty great people and took some pretty great classes.

3. If you enroll in an English program I'm sure that they'll have some type of writing classes for you to take. Not too sure about what schools you're looking at but a lot of college/university websites have course catalogues available to look at.