1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excessive stimming?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was diagnosed with a visual processing disorder but I think that was a misdiagnosis since I have other sensory issues. I think it's really SPD but anyway, I don't have any current diagnoses that include stimming in the list of symptoms. But I do it a lot and it's very noticeable too. I don't know why. I took this Aspergers test because everyone kept saying I had it and I got 172/200 of the symptoms checked off. I don't understand because I don't feel like I'm autistic. I can "read" other people well, I have social anxiety, I do sometimes have "obsessions" but none recently, I am very emotional but I get scared by loud noises and I don't like bright colors or clothes that are too tight or have tags. I don't like science or math (apparently a characteristic??) but I like scifi. That's it. I stim because I feel better or safer in social and crowded places but sometimes it's also because I feel like my brain's going too fast. I clutter and stutter over my words a lot and I need to stim to burn off energy. I asked my mom for Ritalin because it bugs me so much but I don't think she took me seriously.

So what's going on? Is it because of my social anxiety or do I need another diagnosis?

2. faustian1

Yes, "stimming" is an often observed feature of Asperger's. However, if you are good with nonverbal communications then that usually is not consistent with it. What is you social skills level? Can you say something about this?

I think you're right to wonder about this. Of course, professional evaluation is the best way to explore it.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have Aspergers and sensory processing disorder, but I actually don't stim anymore. I used to, but I grew out of it. It's possible it can relate to the SPD though.

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with faustian in that professional evaluation is first and foremost.

With my own experience with Aspergers/ASD, I stim sometimes but particularly under stress (such as in a new environment, when overstimulated, or being socially pressured). Mainly I open and close my hands, wring them together repeatedly, or fidget my fingers.

And you know, autism is a spectrum much like sexuality. There are varying degrees, and it is possible you may have mild ASD to where it doesn't significantly impair day-to-day functioning, thereby not necessarily requiring a diagnosis, but you're still "more autistic" than a neurotypical individual.

I would caution you with online tests though. Austism is a pretty distinct disorder/difference, and truly only a professional should make that diagnosis. If you are concerned about this, definitely talk to your therapist about it.

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recently, I started on this online counselling scheme which is funded by some kind of lottery scheme and connected with the NHS.

The people working there having varying levels of qualifications and experience, with some that have work as a therapist for 14 years and some that are just starting out.

I have sensory problems, and I actually brought this up with one of the therapists there and after talking with them for a while, they said that they wondered about possible autistic tendencies. The gave me a couple of leaflets on anxiety, dealing with panic and autism after the chat was over to read through.

Now, I understand that there's only so much someone can gather from talking with you online and that there's some things that can only be expressed face-to-face, which is probably why they offer face-to-face services as well.

It concerned me a little that particular therapist didn't know what dyscalculia was, despite the fact in her description it says that she'd worked as a therapist in schools for 14 years. You'd think she would have heard of it by now. :/

I somewhat stim- when I'm stressed, feeling uneasy or somewhere's pretty loud I like to run a piece of string through my fingers several times. I find it distracts me, but only to a certain extent.

Usually when I'm somewhere loud though I tend to escape somewhere quieter and out of view, and I close my eyes and cover my ears and pretend I'm somewhere else. I'll imagine I'm in a field and there's a helicopter flying in distance overhead of me, and then I'll think through a few of my positive memories, and when I'm ready I'll stop covering my ears and I'll open my eyes again- which feels like I've just come to surface after swimming underwater. I find that helps me remind myself that the situation I'm in isn't all that major, and usually it works and I feel calmer after doing this.

However, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I attempt to go back to situation, even though I'm not fully ready to return, and sometimes if the day is particularly trying, I have to do this a few times during the day.

Anyway, I understand your concerns. Like others have said, I'd give the same advice of asking a professional. I understand what it's like to have issues but not have a definite label to put to them, as I'm currently going through that. I find ways of coping though, through whatever it is I'm going through- if anything.

:shrug:

Good luck to you anyway. :slight_smile:

#5 Canterpiece, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016