1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving and fear.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Matto_Corvo, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It something I have been thinking about, and have been googling for an answer, but have decided that the best way to get an answer is to ask in my own words...So...

I plan to move to Oregon as soon as I get accepted into PSU. This could be as soon as the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year. Clearly I am moving for college.
    I am constantly worried that I'll move there and then decide to move back because I was lonely or something. I am form a very small town and have never been to a big city, except a trip or two to Charleston. I've also never been away from my family for longer than a week (which is annoying most of the time).
    Ideally I would go to college, stay in the dorms till I can afford a place, and make friends...hell maybe I'll find a boyfriend. But then I have to tie in that I am not very social, I actually tend to be afraid of new people at first. I also don't like to drink, go to bars/clubs, and the usual places people my age go.

I'm just wondering how others dealt with similar situations.

2. PrettyinPunk

Hey there! Glad to see you've made a decision to move away and goto school.:eusa_clap It can be a brave thing to do.

I can't give past experience but I'm very much considering going to school in the spring. If I do it'll be out of state, far away from anyone I know. I'm however very excited at the thought. I've wanted to move out of state anyway and this is an affordable way of doing so. I've lived both in big cities and rural small-towns. Where I live now is a small town and though I've had fond memories here, I've outgrown it. Now I can be very social but I'm also very independent. So while I'm looking forward to making new friends I'm also excited for the new experiences I can do on my own.

I have a few hesitations too. Mainly I worry I'll pick the wrong college (or local) and end up not liking it but being invested in at least a semester of schooling. Then I'll feel like I wasted time, which to me is too precious to waste. I wonder how I'd like being on campus with a roommate in a small dorm. What if my roommate is a complete ass?! I'm thinking I'd be better renting out a house/apartment with other college kids, maybe a bit more flexibility in that. Another thing is the idea of being surrounded mostly by kids straight out of high school doesn't sit well with me. Granted I know not every 18-21 year old is like this but I couldn't stand people in that age group when I was the same age and I still can't now. It's just hard to relate for me.

I'm not into the whole drinking/club scene either. (Though if its cool or classy some bars and pubs are ok) That can get in the way of making friends. A lot of people going to college will be very into that scene. On the flipside you can meet so many different people from all walks of life at college. In bigger cities there's tons of groups and activities to get involved with. I'm sure you'd find people with like-minded interests. I'd work on becoming more social so when you get to school you won't miss out on too much. Also it's perfectly fine to be nervous and homesick once you leave. Just make sure you can call or stay in touch with friends and family back home.:slight_smile: