1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University Sex-Ed... do I go?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Alex K, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Alex K

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The university I'm going to has an Equity group, part of which supports LGBT. There's a gay sex-ed in one of the student lounges and I'm unsure about going.

I'm uncomfortable about it because I don't know that many people at uni yet and I don't want the first thing new people know about me is that I'm gay. If I get to know someone moderately well, I'll slip in a line that is as obvious as saying "I'm gay" or I may just say that. Otherwise, it's like the "gay" comes before the name.

I didn't know anybody before coming to the school. It's only been less than a week and I've met a couple people. But I would like to meet gay people. So going to events like this would be appropriate. I think I'd want to meet a lot more people first and build the beginning of friendships before saying anything about liking guys.

Also, have you been to one of these university hosted sex-eds before? What do they talk about? I feel like I'd know most of it anyway. What makes it more uncomfortable is that I'd be going by myself.

I'd also like to say that I see so many hot guys that I'm sure one of them must be gay and single. I just don't know! I need to meet a lot of new people first...

2. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My community college had a similar (I think) group aptly named "CIS". For all the people who were lgb it was great, and for you it'll almost definitely be worth going. They were fairly ignorant on trans things, and a trans friend that I invited and I kept making jokes about the name of the group was sadly fitting.
    On the content of the event, I'm not entirely sure, but the group I currently go to (I quit going to CIS, being a straight trans person I just didn't fit in. Also it's more of a youth group, the ages being between 13-21) they have frequent sex-ed nights, and the content that they generally go over is what kinds of protection exist and how to use it, sti prevention with a bit more of a focus on hiv than anything else (we'll have a night for general sti prevention, and a separate night for hiv prevention), consent, and then (mostly for the younger members) what counts as sex. So it might be that kind of stuff, but probably more geared to college students.
    Going is definitely a good way to meet people, and there will be other people who also are going by themselves and don't know anyone. Anyway, keep in mind that you and everyone else who would be going all have being gay or bi in common. For me that always helps whenever I go to a new light place.