1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My best friend is moving away...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gloomyra, Sep 11, 2016.

1. gloomyra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And I feel so scared. It's always been hard for me to make new friends, and he's been the best friend I've had in a long time. Even though I've known for months that he's been planning on moving, I still cry like a baby when I think about it. I've actually been avoiding him, because when we hang out I always end up going into a depression after he goes home. I'm just so afraid that when he moves he's going to forget about me, and we won't ever see each other again. He's never been very good at initiating conversations and such, so I feel like it will only get worse with distance.

How can I get over this overwhelming feeling of sadness? I've been losing sleep over it the past few days, and I'm afraid my grades will suffer. Is it still possible to be friends with someone who lives on the opposite side of the country? If I get my dream job, I may even end up living near him again, but that would be years away... And I'm not good at keeping up friendships. Some of my old friends I haven't spoken to in years since they moved, because I don't know how to speak to them...

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you talked to him about your concerns? He is probably the best person to talk to about this right now, he may be able to help you see that he is not leaving you or your friendship despite moving away.

I know it is not at all the same thing, but my best friend moved to another city about a year ago, far enough away that we only see each other once a month and sometimes only once every two months even. But our friendship has not suffered for it at all, we keep in contact on Skype and play games like Minecraft together etc. Some of my friends are entirely online and I have never met them in person, but I have been friends with a few of them for around 15 years.

So it is entirely possible to stay friends if you are both OK with Skyping and stuff often enough. :slight_smile: I am sure you will see him sometime again in person, maybe he will come visit you sometime or could you visit him? Is he leaving family behind him when he moves? If so, I am sure he will come home for Thanksgiving/Christmas/whathaveyou and you will get to hang out with him then. It is all that much more fun when you haven't seen each other in a while too!

3. gloomyra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice. I'm glad to hear you were able to stay friends, it makes me feel like there's still hope. I guess I'm just sad because we used to hang out 2-3 times a week, and now I doubt I'll get to see him more than once or twice a year. He is leaving family behind, but he hates to travel and isn't really that close to his family anyway, so I doubt he'd come back to visit often. I just hope we can make our friendship still work.