1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thewizard, Sep 12, 2016.

1. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm the founder and president of the equality club at my school which promotes/supports the lgbtq+ community, feminism and diversity. Because of this, I feel obligated to show my support while I'm at school. Part of me doing this involves several pins supporting feminism, diversity and lgbtq+ pride. My parents have warned me about the backlash this may have and have even discouraged me from wearing my pins (I live in a mainly conservative town that doesn't have any diversity). I know about the risks, but I've finally decided it is a sacrifice I have to make in order to help others. However, part of me is still the shy introvert from last school year, and I really don't want that part of me to come out. Do any of you have advice? I'm at a new stage of my life and I don't know how to take the leap to get to the next. Any response is appreciated!

2. TigerStripes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all, everything you've said is awesome! Good for you for taking some real initiative!
    When you're afraid you might back out of something, there's a few things to do. Most importantly, make it a "rule". Decide exactly what you're going to do. Writing it somewhere may help. Be a lawyer about it; leave yourself no room to weasel around it. If you make a line and forbid yourself from retreating behind it, it can be a lot easier to stand your ground. That'll make you accountable to yourself.
    The other major approach is to make yourself accountable to someone else. Get a friend in on the plan. Make it so someone supportive will call you out on it if you back down.
    That's my experience. The best of luck to you!